rickray76

_SMSTaskSequence not deleting - Unable to figure out issue

I notice on my image that the _SMSTaskSequence is not deleting itself. Everything seems to be installing correctly. My SMSTS logs show an error:

Failed to open key Software\Microsoft\SMS\A Huge string of numbers\SMSTS

I have no idea what it's trying to do.

I'm attaching the logs to see if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks

Rick

smsts-20140414-104309.log

smsts.log

Does your install account have Administrator access? From your logs, there are access issues with the registry. "RegQueryValueExW is unsuccessful for Software\Microsoft\SMS\Task Sequence, SMSTSEndProgram" and "Failed to open key Software\Microsoft\SMS\47006C006F00620061006C005C007B00350031004100300031003600420036002D0046003000440045002D0034003700350032002D0042003900370043002D003500340045003600460033003800360041003900310032007D00\SMSTS" tell me that the key doesn't exist or the account doesn't have access to that area in the registry.

Check to see if the key does actually exist. If it does, then it's a permissions issue - if it doesn't then it's something in your task sequence.

It may seem like it is successful but due to the fact the SMSTaskSequence folder still exists on the OS partition means it did not emit the successful log ID which is 11171. An unsuccessful message ID is 11170.

You could check the deployment in the compliance/monitoring node to see what message ID it is actually emitting.

Also if you could post a snippet of your Task sequence would be beneficial.

I have attached a screenshot. It exists on my image I created in HyperV. Not sure why it's in there, I didn't use SCCM to do anything with it but capture the image. Should I just delete the registry keys and recapture the image? Will it reconstruct the registry keys when it images the computer?

It shows that System and administrator have special permissions on all of these keys.

Thanks for your help!

Rick

post-23950-0-63273100-1397681452_thumb.png

Do you mean you captured the image with this folder already present before the capture process?

If so how did you build the image initially, via SCCM or manually using an ISO?

If via SCCM then this is not the way to do it if only using the capture process, it's fine to do it via SCCM if it is a build and capture process as this will strip the client among other things before the capture.

If it was initially created manually, left on Workgroup etc etc and then captured using capture media process then this folder could not have been present.

I would'nt personally go changing any keys in the Registry and re-capture. Either create a new image manually and use capture media or use build and capture to automate it to get your golden image for mass deployment.

By any chance did you activate the initial image prior to capture and then when deploying back out via Task sequence you have specified a product key again in the task sequence? If so don't activate the initial image prior to capturing, let the task sequence embed the key in the image and then use a run command line to activate it anywhere in the task sequence after WinPE environment.

Also can you post a snippet of your actual Task sequence. Is there any customisations in it, conditions, task sequence variables etc etc..

You say the task sequence never bombs out with error and everything seems fine only for this folder. Is the agent reporting back properly and fully provisioned?

I created the image using an ISO in Hyper V, always in a work group.

I then used the following capture media process: http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5070-how-can-i-capture-an-image-using-capture-media-in-configmgr-2012/

I never activated windows manually but it is activated through the hyper v image.