dedmete

Endpoint Protection suddenly causing issues with XP

Hello,

We still have several users on Windows XP. Today, none of there computers are working. It locks up either at the login or a minute or two after they get to the desktop. They are all getting the following error:

MsMpEng.exe application error 0x5a4d684d re memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be read.

Once they get the error, the computer becomes un-responsive. I don't get the error in safe mode, but I can't uninstall Endpoint Protection in safe mode either. Has anyone else run into this? Is there a quick way to disable the service (I've read MS has hardened the service to prevent tampering).

Had this issues this morning also we fixed it by appling the update found in this article http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/043515cb-2746-43dc-94e0-441f70fd50b8/system-center-endpoint-protection-error-0x80004005?forum=configmanagergeneral

You need to disable "Enable Behavior Monitoriing" on your endpoint protection clients for windows xp.

In SCCM 2012 go to Assets and Compliance > Endpoint Protection > Antimalware Policies (Create a policy) > Real Time Protection > Change Enable behavior monitoring to: NO.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

This is not only a problem with Endpoint Protection on Windows XP but on any Windows XP platform that uses Microsoft Security Essentials !!!

See my post on http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-winapps/bug-in-microsoft-security-essentials-lames-windows/7e105845-e4e7-4b0d-b7f8-485ba538e3b2?tm=1397657483331

• Like 1

Had this issues this morning also we fixed it by appling the update found in this article http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/043515cb-2746-43dc-94e0-441f70fd50b8/system-center-endpoint-protection-error-0x80004005?forum=configmanagergeneral

You need to disable "Enable Behavior Monitoriing" on your endpoint protection clients for windows xp.

In SCCM 2012 go to Assets and Compliance > Endpoint Protection > Antimalware Policies (Create a policy) > Real Time Protection > Change Enable behavior monitoring to: NO.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, this resolved our issues.