DSPICE

MDT AND SCCM IN THE SAME ENVIRONMENT

Hi ALL,

I have the following:

1.SCCM 2012 server = 1

2. MDT Server = 1

I want to use MDT as a back up if SCCM fails to deploy OSD for reasons like packages in TS are failed or something like that nature. I would like to be able to boot machines using SCCM PXE then be able to choose an MDT TS from the menu. Then using the MDT boot file be able to boot and connect to the MDT server share and run the customsettings.ini file that would then perform the zerotouch MDT deployment.

I have a MDT zerotouch deployment thats been tested via MDT ts and MDT PXE and it works well however when I try to run it using SCCM via SCCM PXE and using the same MDT boot.wim thats been uploaded to the SCCM server .... it loads the MDT boot wim then craps out without running my customsettings.ini.

I have also tried the mdt\sccm integration however I am having some issues running the mdt customsettings.ini within the SCCM ts.

Some assistance with this would be greatly appreciated. If you can include specific instructions and screenshots would als be useful.

Once you enable a PXE enabled distribution point in Configuration Manager, then it is in control of PXE deployments and will deliver any task sequences you have deployed within Configuration Manager,

that means any TS's you have deployed via MDT standalone will not be seen as only one PXE server can respond at a time. It is trivial though to use both, just disable/stop the WDS service on the PXE server you want to disable, the other will answer the clients call.

to understand MDT integration with Configuration Manager do take a look at the guides below, it should get you started..

Your probably right on it being a trivial thing

however I was thinking of doing this to have a back up for deployments if SCCM PXE goes down which I have encountered in the past.

I simply was hoping to be able to use the MDT boot.wims to boot over to the MDT share and run the deployment via customsettings.ini

Anyway if anyone else is interested I did find something that has worked perfectly for me mind you this may be ideal for a test enviroment but not so much for the production.

Its pretty quick and easy to follow!

Solution:

http://www.stephan-schwarz.net/?p=58

yes i'm aware of the F11 trick, however make a change in your Configuration Manager console on the distribution point properties, does it still work after that ?