P3nnyw1se

What could cause this?

Hi.. I've created an application based on the Lenovo Hotkey Integration setup.exe file.
Which basicly enables F5 F6 etc. on the lenovo laptops.

When I deploy the software to clients they are able it from software center without any problems.
the only thing is that its not exactly hidden..as my only application the setup has a popup. that shows its progress,
BUT! doesn't require any interaction from the user.

Now when I add it "through UDI wizard" to the task sequence and want to include it in OSD like so many other applications.
Then this app fails..
it says in appDiscovery.log .. that it couldn't locate the application.
This then aborts the entire progress of installing applications.

Which I don't understand cause it can find and download it just perfectly when I deploy it to already installed clients?.
Just to be sure I tried completely deleting the application, creating and distributing it again.. same error.
installs through software center but not task sequence.

and yes I already checked the 'can install through task sequence' flag.

In the content tab of the package, at deployment options, try to set it it to: download content from distribution point and run locally.

Also, in what stage of the task sequence does the installation happen? It should run when booted to the default operating system (so not when it is in WinPE mode)

application installations is the final step, and happens when its using the default operating system.

We can safely assume that the application deployments work just fine, cause if I exclude the hotkey app... everything is installed perfectly.

I assume you mean I need to change the setting of 'when within slow or unreliable network'
I never paid any attention to that setting, cause I didn't consider my network as slow or unreliable..

I will try and change it and attempt again

okay I'm at a loss...

after having set the 'download and run locally' setting, and updated the content.. no applications are still installed.
and now the appDiscovery is not even there, nor AppEvent or whatever they could be called..

and as usual, if I remove this Lenovo Hotkey application..
all the other apps are installed perfectly..

and as usual, the Lenovo Hotkey application(which causes all the apps to fail during task sequence)

works just fine if I simply deploy it through software center.

its a simple... \\share\location$\setup.exe
parameter: setup.exe /s /sms

In some cases, depending on how an EXE was written, it may not follow your instruction for it to be hidden when it installs.

One idea is to use a program like 7Zip to see if you can extract the contents of the Lenovo Hotkey Integration setup. In some cases, you'll see there is actually an MSI available inside.

If you get direct access to the MSI and if it is indeed a healthy, well-constructed MSI, you should be able to make use of MSIEXEC and hide any UI.

i.e. msiexec.exe /I {File.msi} /qn!

Or similar.