Atomic12

Customization of Internet Explorer 9 (HKCU key!) problems

Hi guys,

Having major problems with a "simple" thing - wanting to have an Internet Explorer 9 favorites bar shown after deployment is finished on the client.

Tried many things, read many posts regarding this issue and I still cannot get it to work.

http://www.itninja.com/question/sccm-add-hkcu-key-to-all-new-users

This link is exactly what I need but no conclusion, unfortunately :(

The way I do it and fail:

1. Create a package in SCCM 2007.

2. Run both with admin and user rights to see if it works.

3. Tried couple of command line options:

• regedit /s IE9ShowFav.reg
  • regedit /s ./IE9ShowFav.reg
  • regedits /s "%~dp0IE9ShowFav.reg"
  • cmd.exe /c reg.exe import "IE9ShowFav.reg

4. Run a batch script which copies the IE9ShowFav.reg file to C:\temp and then regedit /s:

@echo off
md "C:\temp"
xcopy "%~dp0IE9ShowFav.reg" "C:\temp"
regedit /s "%~dp0IE9ShowFav.reg"
exit

5. Reg key looks like this:

1st version:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MINIE]
"TabBandWidth"=dword:000001a8
"LinksBandEnabled"=dword:00000001
"AlwaysShowMenus"=dword:00000001

After reading this post and understanding very little:

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7772-how-can-i-change-a-hkcu-setting-within-windows-during-an-osd-deployment/

changed the HKCU with HKLM then ran with admin rights - no succes

2nd version:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Defuser\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MINIE]

Nothing works! What I read I know that it should be run with user rights since it is being done for a current user.

Can somebody explain to me this in detail?

We use HTA script and this is just another package in the list that needs to be installed, do I need to do it under TS?

What would be the procedure for only one user? or for all? it is the same to me but I want to know how it works.

Links:

http://www.itninja.com/question/sccm-add-hkcu-key-to-all-new-users

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/160063-regread-not-working-from-sccm-script-running-as-current-user/

http://www.networksteve.com/enterprise/topic.php/distributing_a_registry_key_with_SCCM_2007_SP2/?TopicId=27980&Posts=0

Thanks,

Hi,

tried that one, as I have stated above in my first post but did not have any success. How hard can this be? would it be to much if i ask you for a tutorial?

I want to deployed it as a package, not over TS. I know you are busy but it would help a lot.

As i stated:

post-22178-0-20320200-1399293519_thumb.jpgpost-22178-0-67948000-1399293529_thumb.jpgpost-22178-0-25236000-1399293535_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

go back a few steps, in the link i posted have you verified that it applies any key's to the hkcu ? if you follow my guide without any spelling mistakes does it work or not ?, for now forget about IE, and just try creating a test reg key under hkcu

if you don't commit the changes (as in my guide - cmd.exe /c reg.exe unload HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\defuser) then the reg key you are applying to hklm will stay in hklm and not move to hkcu

as regards your reg.exe command,. have you verified that it is correct ?

Hi,

the solution does not work for me. I am doing something wrong, so here is how I do it:

1. Go to my test virtual machine and run your first command: cmd.exe /c reg.exe load HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\defuser c:\users\default\ntuser.dat

2. I run your second command: cmd.exe /c reg.exe import "ie9.reg" and ie9.reg file looks like this:

As you can see I have manually changed the hkcu with hklm key like you told our other college to do. I must admit that I don't understand this line:

"the important thing here is that the registry file refers to the mountpoint referenced in our first step, below is an example of that"

I hope that you are reffering that whatever we are importing that it must contain the hklm key.

3. Then I execute the last command: cmd.exe /c reg.exe unload HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\defuser

Under all command I get the "operation completed successfully". I have made a software collection and advertised it but when I get the advertisement nothing happens, I am logged as a user (with admin rights).

However when I double-click on the ie9.reg file I get the "Cannot import C:\ie9.reg: Error accessing the registry" - that part of the registry is exported so I don't see it as corrupted. I am doing this double click only to test it but it looks like changing the hkcu with hklm is the problem because when I change it back to hkcu it works without any errors.

Is the command line cmd.exe /c reg.exe import "ie9" correct/valid?

Thanks,

i've just tested your reg key with the defuser path in it, and it works just fine..before i do the final command (reg unload) i verified the defuser path in the registry, see screenshot below, the default user hive is loaded in hklm\defuser...., i applied your reg key to that defuser hive.

ie9.png

then i closed regedit (as you can't unload when it's open), and then after i unload the registry i open it again to see how things look, notice no defuser path, that is correct,

unload reg.png

now, you are probably wondering where the HKCU settings have gone, well they are applied to 'default user' hive (all new users)

so login to this computer as a new user and then check the hkcu path for your changes...

hkcu setting made.png

and the setting is indeed in the registry as you see above, starting IE shows the change also.

ie setting.png

So your reg key works, the defuser process applies the change for all users (all new user profiles created on a machine) whereas as pure HKCU reg key (with no defuser references) will make the change for the current logged on user only.

cheers

niall

Ok,

following your guide it worked yesterday, but something was bugging me so i decided to start all over again to recreate it and today i am facing the same problem.

Your guide works that is without a question, but I am missing the part after you unload the defuser hive. Which part of the registry do I export? You know what I mean?

If you import your settings in one .reg file, you unload the hive - ok but where is the saving the settings/exporting that specifice key in registry so i can apply it with the package?

I AM MISSING THE PART HOW TO INTEGRATE THIS INTO A PACKAGE.

I am reading your posts over and over, trying to understand but it does not work :(

Thanks,

i'm not following you exactly,

the registry settings that you export are whatever keys you'd normally export (for HKCU) except that you must modify any HKCU paths to instead point to HKLM\Defuser if using the process I explained above