NEO-BAHAMUT-

SCOM Overrides Procedure

Question

I was wondering if someone could give me a good insight as to how I should be implementing overrides in our company. I want people to be going through the correct paths etc. Is there something I can look at that best describes the way we should be implementing overrides?

Perhaps you could give me an insight as to how you do it in your company etc?

I hope someone can help.

Regards,

2 answers to this question

Each company is different.

Generally, when I implement SCOM for an organization, I will create an Overrides MP for each technoloy MP that's been imported.

For example, let's say the short-form or acronym for the company name is "ABC", and let's assume they have the Windows Server OS Management Pack imported. If they need/want to make any overrides to monitors/rules that are apart of this MP, I would make the following overrides MP; "ABS - Windows Server OS - Overrides". That way it is clear that these are the organization specific changes, and that it is specific to the Windows Server OS MP.

To help others learn/become more comfortable with the SCOM console, and how to do certain things, check out the SCOM Superflow: http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=7859.

It's a little application that will walk someone through the steps to do certain things. Even though the Superflow was only created for the 2007 version (there is no 2012 update that I have seen), the processes are generally the same, in most cases.

Hopefully this has answered your question, if not, let me know.