ms-admin

msi gives exit code 0 but has NOT finished installing

Hi, i have a new msi that starts installing and exits very quickly with an exit code 0 even though it hasn't finished. The problem is that this causes the next program in the chain to start before the first one has finished. i've worked around this in the past with a wscript.sleep in either program but wondered if there was another way to fix this installer behaviour? any ideas? thanks.

additonal info: btl group secureassess aat msi, win7 x86 client, sccm 2012r2 environment.

Sounds like a nested MSI, which performs the actual installation through an asynchron custum action. I would check the property table for possible switches to force a wait. At least you could create an Installation log to see what is going on. (msiexe /i ..... /L*v ...logname.log /q).

HI

I had a similar problem once but not I don't remmeber if it was with a MSI.

Sometimes installers have several installers inside (could that be the case?) When it starts, what is doing behind could be extracting other packages and installing them by order. I believe that Chrome (as an example) it's the case. The installer has other packages inside. Sometimes you can workaround and sometimes you can't...

Hi, it was an exam emergency and i needed it done by 1pm so i just made it work. the property table for the main msi doesn't have many details at all. but the msi does have 6 msi's that unpack once launched. i'll have to figure out which ones are being run as some are standard microsoft dependencies which are not required. thanks for your help.