Hi guys,

Hopefully this will be a really simple question to answer.

A customer has just asked me if I can provide the official statement from Microsoft that states what kind of CM12 database access and manipulation would make this an unsupported configuration. Whilst those of us long enough in the tooth know better than to pry too far into the database using anything other than the ConfigMgr console, I wondered if anyone had a link to the official steer from Microsoft?

Thanks,

Ian.

To my knowledge there is no publicly available "official" statement, if they are looking for an official statement from MS then you should ask their TAM. Their TAM will be able to get them an official statement.

The real question is "what do they want to do? and more importantly why?"

• Like 1

Thanks for your answer Garth and I figured there wasn't a statement as I can usually dig and find most things, but not that.

The ConfigMgr admin is looking to block access to the DB for a third party asset management tool that seems to want to access the CM12 DB directly. He's concerned about performance and stability of the tool and wanted to find an official out that he could leverage to block it.

I'll advise him to speak with his TAM.

Hi, i set up a read only account in sql that an asset management product uses to connect and read directly from the cm12 database and i haven't seen any performance problems. microsoft system centre service manager also does the same thing for asset management using a config manager connector and this appears to be a supported configuration as microsoft provide instructions on how to set it up. just schedule to do it out of hours when nothing else is going on.