Kazi

SCCM 2012 R2 reports not showing all Operating Systems

Hello everyone,

Reports in SCCM do not show the latest operating system that we are running (Windows 8.1). If I go to REPORTING - REPORTS - OPERATING SYSTEM and choose Computers with a specific operating system, my only choices are:

Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise

Microsoft Windows 8 Enterprise

Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter

Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard

Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Datacenter

Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard

Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Standard

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Microsoft® Windows® Server 2003 Standard x64 Edition

Microsoft® Windows® Server 2003 Standard, Edition

Microsoft® Windows Server® 2008 Standard

Our desktop OS that we upgraded to is Windows 8.1 (we did test and deploy a few Windows 8 computers prior to the release of Windows 8.1). I also have some Server 2012 R2 Datacenter installs that are out there and the Server 2012 R2 Standard only shows 1 computer in the list but I have about 10.

Does anyone know why SCCM Reporting would not show Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2 Datacenter? Also, I can't figure out why only 1 server shows up under the Server 2012 R2 Standard? The weird thing is, the server that shows up under Server 2012 R2 Standard was built a long time after any of our Windows 8.1 computers.

I have a single server for SCCM with SQL 2012 SP1 on the same server. I'm thinking it's something to do with SQL but before I go poking around, I'd like to see if anyone has any information I could use. :)

Thanks in advance.

Kazi

I just check and that report will Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. Can't check Win2k12r2 as I don't have any of them within the lab but Win2k12 show up without any problems.

Unfortunately mine doesn't show Windows 8.1 - still trying to figure out what is wrong and why they aren't showing. Funny thing is if I go to DEVICES and right click on a Windows 8.1 computer and click PROPERTIES it shows "Operating System - Windows 8.1 Enterprise" and "Operating System Name and Version - Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 6.3" so it's somewhere between how SCCM is reporting devices and how the reporting tool is gathering that information.

If I'm off base, please let me know.

Sorry, I had the entire solution typed up and when I clicked "Post" I got an error message and lost the whole thing... I planned on coming back and posting the solution in a bit after Monday morning decides to calm down. :)

OK – sorry for the delay in posting a solution. It’s been a busy morning so far. J

What I noticed was that in my custom client settings, anytime I clicked on Hardware Inventory and then clicked the Set Classes button, the Hardware Inventory Classes window would open but nothing would populate in the window and I would get an error message that would crash the Configuration Manager (after a few clicks of OK). No matter how many times I tried to check the Hardware Inventory, it would end up crashing the Configuration Manager console (I apologize to everyone, I don’t have the exact error message that was popping up) and I’d have to open it again. The only client setting that I could get into and successfully view the Hardware Inventory was the Default Client Settings.

What I did was I deleted all policies with the exception of the Default Client Settings and I recreated them. Once I recreated them, I checked to make sure I could get into the Hardware Inventory and click on Set Classes without getting an error message. The new client policies let me set hardware classes without an issue. I assigned them their priority and then I deployed them to the proper collections again. I allowed a few hours and I checked the report and BAM! There they were… so something was corrupted inside of the old client settings that I defined previously. Once I created the new ones and deployed them, SCCM started reporting correctly.

I hope this helps anyone who might have this same issue.