Polarman

SCCM 2012 and scripts

Question

Hi, I have made a software which is available in the Software Center. It installs ok at user end.

But with that software I will run a script which uninstall previous versions first. I will use the "wmic product like ...call uninstall /nointeractive". I run the script as priority 1 in the deployment type, and the msi as priority 2.

I cant seem to find the correct way to do it. I get error with ""The software change returned error code 0x87D00324". The logs says that the "Application not discovered". I know there is something wrong with the "Detection rule"...

How to do this?

Knut

post-24888-0-57610400-1399896315_thumb.png

post-24888-0-26643500-1399896316_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

I had a similar problem to this, and this article assisted me

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/99b13d65-3305-46c7-b5a0-96513408520b/sccm-2012-deploy-error-the-software-change-returned-error-code-0x87d003242016410844?forum=configmanagerapps

In the end I found that my detection by file wasn't working and I had to detect by registry key.

Actually, I ran into the same issue and it is not the detection method.

The problem you are having is that once the system runs one of the deployment types, it does not run any others. So once it runs the first script, it will ignore the remainder of the deployment types. The deployment types are more for picking which systems to install on, such as a 32 bit deployment and a 64 bit deployment.

I would recommend the following steps.

1. Create an application for the previous version that you are looking to install. The most important part here is that the detection method and uninstall strings work.
  2. Create the one with just the one deployment type.
  3. Set this new application to supersede the previous one. Make sure the uninstall check box is on.

This way...when you deploy the new version, it will uninstall the old version first. Using this method will also remove the old version from the available software for users to install.

P.S. - Anyone out there...if I'm wrong...I would love to know because this is how I do all of my deploys.

This lead me to a new problem Brian. When I try to superseed Endnote 7.0 with Endnote 7.1 - and set the "uninstall" check box - they both have the same product ID, meaning Endnote 7.1 already thinks its installed and then quits.

So the question is: How do I update an application easiest way. Best practice.

You can additionally set the version property in your product code detection rules.

I was going to suggest this as well. I have a similar issue with the Outlook CRM client. I actually use the client version when you right click and hit properties on it.

The other option is check the registry. Is there anything different in there? Sometimes a key will list the full version of the application.

I have checked the registry, and there is indeed something different. I have to put a check on the DisplayVersion of the exe-fil, which is newer than the previous version.

I checked the filename version. If the version was equal or greater than xx.x then the software is present. If less its not present and then install. And I used the superseed, which uninstalled the older version if it was there :)

Now I'm all good. Thanks for the help. You put me in the right direction!

Will try to help others out here on this site.

Knut