Mike S

SQL Server 2012 Application Problems

Question

I am trying to locate a guide on how to create an application within SCCM 2012 that will successfully deploy SQL Server 2012 Enterprise. Since we use a response file, I have only found success in deploying the software is through the use of a task sequence. I would prefer to use an application to deploy SQL Server 2012 due to the features.

I am having similar issues with certain Oracle products as well. It seems that deploying software (for me at least) is somewhat problematic when response files are involved using anything other than a task sequence.

If anyone has any tips or pointers, I would greatly appreciate it.

3 answers to this question

I haven't had any experience directly with SQL or Oracle but sometimes with the response files, I have had issues if you just put the file name. I have had more success if you point the response file to the UNC path on the SCCM share.

So instead of saying that response file is response.mst, I would say that it's "\\[serverName]\[serverShare]\response.mst.

I have figured out how to configure the SQL Server 2012 to install.

Using the variables outlined in my configuration file, I appended them to the installation program. No more configuration file needed.

Brian, Thanks for the tip about the response file pointing to the UNC path. Not as clean as I would have hoped, but it works like a charm for those pesky Oracle installations.

Peter, I was asking a general question as I was only looking for general information.