anyweb

using Multiple Task Sequences via PXE

Question

This tip will show you how to let your local I.T. guy see a Task Sequence menu after PXE booting the computer.

first of all create a new collection (in your Deploy collection) called MultiTask.

multitask.jpg

from your list of available Task Sequences that you have already made, choose one, and right click and select Advertise.

advertise_task_sequence1.jpg

advertise it to your Multitask collection, make sure PXE boot is enabled and choose next

advertise_to_multitask.jpg

make sure that you do not set any mandatory options (in other words, it is now voluntary) and click next

not_mandatory.jpg

set your distribution point settings

dp_settings.jpg

and leave interaction as default

interaction_settings.jpg

and click next until complete through security and summary.

repeat the above steps with at least one more Task Sequence, after this, you can verify that the task sequences are advertised to the MultiTask collection by looking at the collection properties and clicking on the Advertisements tab

multi_ts.jpg

Now using Computer Association, import a computer (or create a direct membership) into the MultiTask collection

new_system_to_collection.jpg

and pxe boot it, you should see the following

pressF12.jpg

do as it says and press F12

it will start loading Windows PE

peloading.jpg

If however, you see some of your Windows Deployment Services menus (like capture or deploy) then you will need to reconfigure the WDS server properties and set the PXE respone time to more than than PXE response time set in SCCM, and then restart the WDS service. If that doesn't help then verify that the computer you imported is not obsolete in SCCM.

windows_is_starting_up.jpg

followed by this, just click next, if you want it to prompt for a password then configure the PXE Service Point role with a password

click_next_to_continue.jpg

then you'll see your list of Task Sequences, select one and you are done !

list_of_task.jpg

Note: if you want the password and choice menu removed via a script then checkout this post

Hi Niall

This is now working for me....I did not make the TS available instead i had it as a required TS (both of them).

Once i redeployed both but this time specifying them as only available i got prompted with which TS I wished to install.

Just one question while on this subject...i notice that it is required to press f12 at PXE boot time......is this because it is only availble....if i deploy a TS to unknown computers and make it required it does not prompt for f12 to continue.

I tried manually configuring WDS to not prompt for f12 but it still does..( This is only test lab thus the reason to manually trying to configure WDS boot options)

It is not a big issue but if there was a way of bypassing this straight to the TS options would be great..

Thanks

Rocket Man