drewz99

PXE Boot Task Sequence

I am attempting to deploy a task sequence containing an OS image we recently captured via SCCM Capture Image task. The issue is, we are unable to PXE boot into the sequence. WDS keeps taking over the process. This is a manually entered bare bones VM with no OS currently installed on it. Any help getting past this PXE issue would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, we do have PXE enabled, allow all requests enabled, and all content of boot images pxe enabled and distributed amongst other DP's.

Can you give us some more information to work with?

What do you mean by WDS keeps taking over?!

Are you referring to WDS on a different server, or WDS on the SCCM server because WDS should not be configured at all on the SCCM server.

What do you mean "right into WDS"??

When you boot from SCCM boot media, whether it is flash drive, CD-ROM, PXE etc. it will boot up and show you the network options, then you choose which task sequence to run (which ever task sequences are deployed as available to PXE/boot image).

If you don't want to choose which task sequence to run, then deploy it as required instead of available, that way the device will PXE boot, download the boot media, and kick off the TS after a 60 second prompt that you are about to replace you OS.

Does that clarify?

Im new to this, and I have follwed what i believe to be the proper steps in creating the ts. however, with wds disabled, all i get when pxe booting the vm is pxe-e32 tftp open timeout? doesn't seem like to ts is making its way to the vm? any suggestions?

Hi,

When deploying an OS with SCCM and PXE Boot, you shouldn't need to configure the WDS at all, sccm will sort all of it out (much like SUP and WSUS).

I would personally remove all WDS and the SCCM Side of OSD and start from scratch following anywebs guide here until step 5.

Other wise, maybe take a look at this and see if it helps:

http://www.bootix.com/support/problems_solutions/pxe_e32_tftp_open_timeout.html

• Like 1