issue

No software updates during OSD

Hi, I have a problem on some computers with software updates during OSD, im running ConfigMgr 2012 R2 CU1 on 2012 R2 Update 1 servers.

Win8.1 OSD

On two Surface Pro 2´s no patches are downloaded nor installed during the Install Software Updates step in OSD

On one Surface Pro 2 and two x1 carbon this step works correctly and software updates are installed.

Win7 OSD

Have tried on one x1 carbon and here it works correctly.

I have no idea why it doesnt work on these two machines and i dont really know what to look for in the log, any suggestions?

EDIT

And another problem, that i only have seen on Surface pro 2, after reboot in a OSD the step "initializing the system center 2012 r2 configuration manager client" takes forever, or like 45min, but it feels like forever.

Hi,

Are the computers deployed in the same way? member of a collection with a Software Updates deployment targeted to that collection?

Any useful information in WindowsUpdate.log? does it use the correct SUP?

Regards,
Jörgen

I will catch the WindowsUpdate.log next time, running an OSD right now.

We have one Collection for deploying win8.1 and one Collection for deploying win7.
We have an ADR that targets a general deploy Collection where both the win7 and win8.1 Collections are included.
So these two machines who is struggeling are deployed exactly the same way as the three win8.1 that works.

For the Surface machines im applying the March2014 firmware and driver pack but i have replaced the firmware with the May firmware: KB2963062. (i have tried with both the october and february package, but same problem)

And during the setup and configure step i am applying the CU1 hotfix for the cm agent.

And before "install software updates" i run this command:
"WMIC /namespace:\\root\ccm path sms_client CALL TriggerSchedule "{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000113}" /NOINTERACTIVE"

i will come back with some logs as soon as i have them...

EDIT
and now again, after a reboot the step "initializing the system center 2012 r2 configuration manager client" takes forever.
is it the smsts.log i shall be looking in?

seems like the task failed during the wmic, feels like something goes wrong with the cm install, initializing takes forever and no updates get installed. will check the logs tomorrow at work

Quick question, is it not possible to run software updates during OSD with win8.1 source media?

we get this error in WindowsUpdate.log

Windows OOBE is still in progress.  AU deferring detection.

#WARNING: Failed to find updates with error code 8024a008

OOBE is in progress, so cannot perform Accelerated Install.

seems like the task failed during the wmic, feels like something goes wrong with the cm install, initializing takes forever and no updates get installed. will check the logs tomorrow at work

When you have a large number of updates deployed to a device, each one has a policy, and each policies is deleted from the device as part of the above process. It will take a long time, but this is normal and required.

hi again.. here comes the link to some logs, including windowsupdate.log

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B69CD1CE01868052%2123727

please help me with this, it is annoying that i get zero patches during OSD with win8.1 when our win7 OSD works, same ADR to both Collections.

InstallTargetUpdates failed, error 80040708
It seemed it isn't seeing the updates.
Make sure you have advertised updates to the collection.
Also, deploying the updates to the unknown computers is an option.
There are definitely some updates installing to the machine the logs have been taken from.....So perhaps not the updates you want are deployed to the collection the device is a member of?

InstallTargetUpdates failed, error 80040708
It seemed it isn't seeing the updates.
Make sure you have advertised updates to the collection.
Also, deploying the updates to the unknown computers is an option.
There are definitely some updates installing to the machine the logs have been taken from.....So perhaps not the updates you want are deployed to the collection the device is a member of?

it is intermittent, some times the patches comes, some times not.

the updates that are seen in the log is from our build and capture i did on sunday.

our setup are like this:

One Win8.1 deploy collection, direct memberships for known computers and then unknown computers

One Win7 deploy collection, direct memberships for known computers and then unknown computers

One ADR Deploy collection, this collection includes both the Win8.1 and Win7 collection.

And our ADR is targeting the ADR Deploy collection. This ADR runs after every SUP sync and contains Win7, Win8, Office 2010 and Office 2013 patches.

The result is that our Win7 always succeed to patch during the OSD and our Win8.1 patches sometimes during the OSD, (the last 5 tries with different computers no patches have been applied to our win8.1 machines)

After the OSD have completed our Win8.1 still get patches, but from another ADR that targets a "All client" collection.

i have tripple checked our ADR, a colleague have dubble checked it, and as i said, there have been patches, some times. So our ADR works (i guess).

(the last times the computers have been known computers, i will delete one from the database tomorrow and see if it works if it is an unknown computer)