Hi

I am currently using a little script to prompt for computer name for unknown computers (has some error checking in).

but I have had a request from the business to ask for every rebuild, and obviously it won't ask if its a known computer.

any suggestions.

thanks

Rob

Hi,

You mean that you should only prompt if the computer is unknown? or how you should do it?

If you should only prompt if the computer is unknown check the OSDComputername variable if it doens't start with "minint" then the computer is known.

Regards,
Jörgen

No basically they want it to ask every time even if the machine is known in SCCM, as our computer names reflect our sites and the engineers move them around. so when they rebuild on new site the device needs a new name, and they don't want to have to manually rename after build.

our computer names reflect our sites and the engineers move them around..............they don't want to have to manually rename after build.

So you are saying that you want to automate the process of naming a PC to reflect "our sites"?

Good, this is a much better idea than relying on technicians to not get a typo. Human beings make mistakes, they cannot be relied upon.

You could set task sequence variables based on the information that is unique to each site. For example a subnet is detected when a device is image on site. Then you vbs can use that information to generate and populate the OSDComputerName - Is this the kind of thing you are trying to achieve?

i all have a script which prompts for computer name for all unknown computers. But i would like the same to work for Known computers instead of it reusing the information already recorded in SCCM (forget the sites thing this will be done manually by the engineer rebuilding the device when prompted for computername)

apologies if i didn't explain it very well.

i all have a script which prompts for computer name for all unknown computers. But i would like the same to work for Known computers instead of it reusing the information already recorded in SCCM (forget the sites thing this will be done manually by the engineer rebuilding the device when prompted for computername)

apologies if i didn't explain it very well.

Post the script on here