TimLancer

OSD & Chipset Drivers - best way?

I'm a lurker on these forums so I'd like to start out by thanking everyone for their time and contributions. This is more of a general question in regards to chipset drivers and SCCM OSD - I'm not having a specific issue but I haven't found a satisfactory explanation on chipset drivers anywhere yet.

Like many others here, I've been installing Windows for a long time. It didn't matter what kind of system you had - after you finished installing Windows the FIRST thing you did was install chipset drivers and reboot. Always.

Fast forward to today. I'm following the excellent sticky'd guides ( <3 u Niall) and not having a problem with drivers...but something has always bothered me. For instance if I download the Intel chipset drivers for an Ivy Bridge chipset and blindly import them all into SCCM I end up with around 72 drivers. I know you're NOT supposed to do that (and I haven't).

So instead I followed the suggestion of installing Windows 7 fresh. Then I'd manually install the chipset drivers and use Device Manager to drill down into each 'unknown device' that now has a driver to determine what the underlying .sys file is for that specific chipset component. Then I'm importing just that specific chipset driver into SCCM...so I'll end up with 1-3 chipset drivers on average per chipset.

Seems nice and clean but there is always this nagging doubt in the back of my head that there *might* be some components using built-in Windows drivers (hence no Unknown Device) but might run better with the official Intel drivers.

Are any of my concerns real?

When you're doubting about something like that, there is only one thing you can do and that's to install one device without installing drivers. After that extract the downloaded drivers locally and manually go by every piece of hardware and try to search for newer drivers and use your extracted drivers as input. After that look at the differences with a device that you deployed.

Thanks for the reply, Peter. I'll continue to focus on eradicating my yellow exclamation points. If one of the hardware models seems to be unusually slow or unstable I'll take your advice and go through each driver with a fine toothed comb. I thanked Niall in my original post but I've also learned a lot from all your great posts over the years. Thank you too!