ccshutts

maintenance windows and xp

I've recently been playing with maintenance windows and for some reason, the xp test machines don't always pick up the maintenance window and apply it. so as soon as updates are done it just reboots instead of waiting for the window.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Chad

wilbywilson: thanks for the reply. Im not supressing the reboot, so i can allow it to reboot in the window. but it xp machines don't make it to the window. When I suppress restart on my xp or w7 collections, the maintenance window comes and never restarts.. I change it to not suppress.. the w7 machines reboot inside the window but the xp machines reboot before the window ever happens.

I have noticed that xp machines are rebooted by winlogon.exe and windows 7 machines are rebooted by ccmexec.exe not sure if this has anything to do with the xp machines not waiting for the window, the following events from when I ran a maintenance window test.. the window was from 3:30p to 6:30p

xp:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: USER32
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1074
Date: 6/13/2014
Time: 2:11:56 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: CCS-XPMWI-613-4
Description:
The process winlogon.exe has initiated the restart of CCS-XPMWI-613-4 for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
Minor Reason: 0x1
Shutdown Type: reboot
Comment: Your computer will restart at 06/13/2014 02:11:56 PM to complete the installation of applications and software updates.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

win7:

Log Name: System
Source: USER32
Date: 6/13/2014 4:35:54 PM
Event ID: 1074
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
User: SYSTEM
Computer: ccs-w7mwi-613-3.lmhealth.org
Description:
The process C:\Windows\CCM\CcmExec.exe (CCS-W7MWI-613-3) has initiated the restart of computer CCS-W7MWI-613-3 on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
Reason Code: 0x80020001
Shutdown Type: restart
Comment: Your computer will restart at 06/13/2014 04:50:54 PM to complete the installation of applications and software updates.

Are the XP machines and the Windows 7 machines part of the same collection, where the maintenance windows are being enforced? I guess what I'm asking is, is there a single maintenance window covering all of these machines? Or do you have a collection/maintenance window for Windows 7 machines, and a separate collection/maintenance window for Windows XP machines? If they are separate, you may want to double-check the maintenance window configuration for the XP machines, since it doesn't sound like they adhering to it.