BRS

New SCCM 2012 install question(s)

Good Morning!

About to install SCCM 2012 on a virtual server and have a question for the group.

Here's what we have in place:

- Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1 with all the current updates

- 16Gb. memory

- Intel Xeon E5645 (4 Processors)

- 350Gb. storage on drive 'D' for packages, apps, etc...

The SCCM server will not be a CAS. We probably have about 2000 systems in our school district. These are laptops and desktops.

SCCM 2012 was setup previously, but an update was installed and toasted everything.

My question:

- Just follow anyweb's EXCELLENT step-by-step guide for installing a standalone server?

Any other 'gotcha' info would be great, too.

Thanks!

BRS

Make sure that you completely removed everything from your old environment (mainly in the AD).

Peter,

I'm curious... what would happen if you still have old environment in AD and active? My company upgraded from 2007 to 2012 and currently migrated everything over, but the 2007 environment is still up for a few more months before decommission.

What conflict would happen if both environment is stood up and also still in AD? Note: we have already have all clients moved over to the 2012 environment.

Thanks,

Good Morning!

About to install SCCM 2012 on a virtual server and have a question for the group.

Here's what we have in place:

- Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1 with all the current updates

- 16Gb. memory

- Intel Xeon E5645 (4 Processors)

- 350Gb. storage on drive 'D' for packages, apps, etc...

The SCCM server will not be a CAS. We probably have about 2000 systems in our school district. These are laptops and desktops.

SCCM 2012 was setup previously, but an update was installed and toasted everything.

My question:

- Just follow anyweb's EXCELLENT step-by-step guide for installing a standalone server?

Any other 'gotcha' info would be great, too.

Thanks!

BRS

BRS,

the step by step guide is very helpful... be sure to read over it few times to understand before actually building it. If possible, build in VM first as practice run.... Other than that you will run into small issues that you can not avoid, but just ask questions and someone will be willing to help.

I noticed that you having one drive to have all your packages, apps... etc.. I highly recommend for you to have at about 7 partitions (my opinion).

You want to have the Configuration manager installed in separate partition from the local desk drive. then you will have SQL partition for backup, tempDB, log, and Data. all those are its own separate partition. After that I have partition for the DPs and I would store the application under that.

This is what I just did, don't know what best practice would be but this made for ease of separation and organization.

Thanks

Thanks to all for your assistance and thoughts!

After every step of the installation process, I took a snapshot

of the server. I'm currently waiting for another snapshot to finish.

This snapshot will be of SCCM 2012 installed, but not configured.

Leaningmode - Thanks! Almost forgot about this. :-)