king13p

SCCM Console Hates Mornings

Okay so weird issue we are having,

We just created a new SCCM 2012 R2 Server almost 2 weeks ago, Since then it seems every morning I come in, The SCCM Console won't connect to the server.

If I log into the server, the SCCM Console works just fine, Other users can't get SCCM to work either, The only solution for us is to reboot the server then it starts working again.

Any ideas? What logs should I look into?

Thanks

That sounds like you have something going on between the SCCM server and the datbase. Or it could be a network issue, if I connect to the console at work you can see the console trying to connect to the database as it does what I call the strobe thing, it sorta flashes the "connecting to site database XXXX" about 4 times, if I do it on the server itself it flashes once or twice, if it do it from home connected through vpn from my laptop it flashes about 6 to 8 times, which tells me it depends a lot on the network connection you have. How often are you running things like machine policy retrieval, checking for software updates, are you doing backups using any third party software early in the morning, I Use altaro to back up my systems every night as the server and database are both virtuals on the same box and had to adjust the times to offset the backups by about 3 hours and I also check for updates every night. I try to do things in the 6 pm to 2 am time frame so it has time to recover before I come in in the morning. Is this a standalone primary, virtual, is the database on a separate box?

Did you checked scheduled Maintenance Tasks in your environment?

You can check out the tasks status by this SQL query:

select *, floor(DATEDIFF(ss,laststarttime,lastcompletiontime)/3600) as Hours, floor(DATEDIFF(ss,laststarttime,lastcompletiontime)/60)- floor(DATEDIFF(ss,laststarttime,lastcompletiontime)/3600)*60 as Minutes, floor(DATEDIFF(ss,laststarttime,lastcompletiontime))- floor(DATEDIFF(ss,laststarttime,lastcompletiontime)/60)*60 as TotalSeconds from SQLTaskStatus