shawn

Application hides installer window

Hello,

I have a program that uses an old installer without any silent options. I've created a AutoIT script that clicks on the buttons of the setup program when it launches. When using this program within a SCCM Package, the setup launches to the screen visible to the user. But when I run it as a SCCM Application the setup is not visible to the user and the AutoIT script fails.

There are several differences between the wording in Package and Application; in Application it's "Install for user", in Package, its "Run with user's rights". Are these interchangeable?

In the Package i have "Allow users to interact with this program" and in the Application i have "Allow users to view and interact with the program installation" selected.

It would have been nice to use an Application for this but if I need to use a Package that's fine.

My question is why this is happening. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Shawn

I would not mess around with AutoIT at all. It always depends on what is actually going on on the users screen. The user interactions will mess it up unless u are freezing the users screen with AutoIT during the Installation. Not really what you want to do in prouctional environments.

If you have the right tools like "Admin Studio" or "Wise Studio", repackage the software and create an MSI from it. This is the best way to deal with such installers, unless they are also installing .Net assemblies.

Alternatively you can create an optional application which installs in the system context and allows user interaction. Then brief the users to click the dialog during the installation.

Thanks for the info.

I do have access to Admin Studio but was hesitant due to time constraints and that the install packages AJAX.NET 2.0.

So you think this issue with working as a Package vs an Application is more related to the fact that i'm using AutoIT?