skullicious

Adding Role and OU selection to the CM2012 Bitlocker FrontEnd HTA

Question

Hey,

I am looking at expanding on Niall's CM2012 Front End HTA and wanted to know if I what I was planning to do was possible as I'm finding it hard to find a resource that give me definitive answer.

Basically what I want to do is:

• Modify the HTA to have two drop down boxes, one for role and one for OU.
  • Have the drop downs display a list of roles passed back from Maik Koster's webservices using GETOUs and GETROLES.
  • Be able to select these roles and pass these variables into the task sequence.

Is this do-able?

Is this the best way of doing it? I've seen mention of how to do this by manually setting which OU's are available but this seems like an administrative overhead every time OU's are added/changed.

Any tips?

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

I have tried to solve this in our HTA. Unfortunately the GETOU Routine is to slow in a forest with several hundred OUs. It's sitting there for like 5 minutes to return the OUs.

So what i did was using the GETADSITES function. Our Client OUs have the same Syntax in the AD sites. So i was able to create the OUs by adding the AD site to predefined Client OUs in a simple loop and feed them to the drop down list. Based on the Clients Default Gateway and Hardware type (Laptop/Desktop) the correct locations OU will be preselected in the drop down box.

I am trying to add this to my deployment as well but am running into errors.

How should the domain field be entered?

I have this:

If ADOU.value = "1" Then
oTSEnvironment("swn_ADOU") = "Administrative"
'msgbox("LDAP://OU=Administrative,OU=Workstations,DC=online,DC=com: " & oTSEnvironment("swn_ADOU"))'
ElseIf ADOU.value = "2" Then
oTSEnvironment("swn_ADOU") = "Developement"
'msgbox("LDAP://OU=Development,OU=Workstations,DC=online,DC=com: " & oTSEnvironment("swn_ADOU"))'
ElseIf ADOU.value = "3" Then
oTSEnvironment("swn_ADOU") = "External"
'msgbox("LDAP://OU=External,OU=Workstations,DC=online,DC=com: " & oTSEnvironment("swn_ADOU"))'
ElseIf ADOU.value = "4" Then
oTSEnvironment("swn_ADOU") = "IT"
'msgbox("LDAP://OU=IT,OU=Workstations,DC=online,DC=com: " & oTSEnvironment("swn_ADOU"))'
ElseIf ADOU.value = "5" Then
oTSEnvironment("swn_ADOU") = "Restricted"
'msgbox("LDAP://OU=Restricted,OU=Workstations,DC=online,DC=com: " & oTSEnvironment("swn_ADOU"))'
oTSEnvironment("swn_ADOU") = "Sales"
'msgbox("LDAP://OU=Sales,OU=Workstations,DC=online,DC=com: " & oTSEnvironment("swn_ADOU"))'
oTSEnvironment("swn_ADOU") = "Service Computers"
'msgbox("LDAP://OU=Service_Computers,OU=Workstations,DC=online,DC=com: " & oTSEnvironment("swn_ADOU"))'
End If

Not sure what I am doing wrong.

There is an error in the task sequence and I have to shut down the computer, if I continue it will not use the apply networking settings step and join no domain. I think my problem lies in my java backend code. Can you send me a snipit of the code you used in your java?