JHBPJF

UEFI PXE Boot - Need Help

Time has come where we're getting more involved with getting tablets imaged, but these pesky things always use UEFI and don't support legacy. I'm having a hard time booting these things into PXE.

From my understanding, you should use IP Helpers instead of DHCP Scope. I've done this already and my legacy setup still works, and I've made more progress with UEFI, but they still don't get pushed into downloading the correct .wim file I setup in SCCM. My DP which have the WDS role on them are all Server 2012.

I unfortunately wish I could provide more insight, but the screen flashes so quickly I don't know what the error is.

It says it's downloaded the NBP file, then it goes into WDS Boot Manager, and that's where it fails and continues to load Windows.

Does anyone know how to not have it continue on error? Or what exactly is going on?

Dell says I need to add boot images to WDS. Since I've never touched WDS and everything is controlled by SCCM, I'm a bit lost.

Are you running SCCM 2012 SP1 and the Windows 8 ADK? You need these to have the required boot images for deploying UEFI as far as I am aware.

In any case, there is a stack of information about deploying with UEFI on this page that should help:

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6250-how-can-i-deploy-windows-8-in-uefi-mode-using-configuration-manager-2012/

make sure that you have distributed both the 32 bit and the 64 bit boot wim's to your distribution points and that your UEFI capable task sequence has the 64bit boot wim attached to it if your hardware is 64bit, lastly make sure the UEFI device is in UEFI mode (and not legacy mode) and verify from the vendor (or boot into windows and find out) if it's 32 bit or 64 bit hardware, if it's 32 bit you'll need to image it using standalone media (usb or cd) and that usb media must have a task sequence with a 32 bit boot wim, if it's 64bit hardware (most UEFI hardware is 64bit capable) then use the 64bit boot wim... or separate the deployments using collections targetting the computer architecture

UEFI machines are tricky to boot, what hardware are you using? the HP elitepad 900 for instance is a pure 32 bit tablet and it requires a 32 boot image as it cannot boot from a 64-bit boot image. So as Niall wrote you need to make sure that you have a task sequence that supports UEFI partitioning, and that you use the correct architecture that matches the device for boot image and so on.

And as you wrote you have already the DP's running server 2012 so then you should be able to support pxe booting 32 bit UEFI devices as well.

Regards,

Jörgen

Are you running SCCM 2012 SP1 and the Windows 8 ADK? You need these to have the required boot images for deploying UEFI as far as I am aware.

In any case, there is a stack of information about deploying with UEFI on this page that should help:

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6250-how-can-i-deploy-windows-8-in-uefi-mode-using-configuration-manager-2012/

Yes I am.

make sure that you have distributed both the 32 bit and the 64 bit boot wim's to your distribution points and that your UEFI capable task sequence has the 64bit boot wim attached to it, lastly make sure the UEFI device is in UEFI mode (and not legacy mode) and verify from the vendor (or boot into windows and find out) if it's 32 bit or 64 bit hardware, if it's 32 bit you'll need to image it using standalone media (usb or cd) and that usb media must have a task sequence with a 32 bit boot wim, if it's 64bit hardware (most UEFI hardware is 64bit capable) then use the 64bit boot wim...

What makes a task sequence "UEFI capable"?

UEFI machines are tricky to boot, what hardware are you using? the HP elitepad 900 for instance is a pure 32 bit tablet and it requires a 32 boot image as it cannot boot from a 64-bit boot image. So as Niall wrote you need to make sure that you have a task sequence that supports UEFI partitioning, and that you use the correct architecture that matches the device for boot image and so on.

And as you wrote you have already the DP's running server 2012 so then you should be able to support pxe booting 32 bit UEFI devices as well.

Regards,

Jörgen

The unit I am trying to image is a Dell Venue 11 Pro (5130) Tablet. It has Windows 8.1 already on it. 32-bit operating system on x64 based processor.

the hard disc partitioning steps need to be present for UEFI - see this post for more info

My task sequence already has a UEFI partition setup.

My issue right now is getting it to download the x64 boot wim in order to get into selecting the task sequence.

I'm using MDT if that matters.

well whatever is the LAST deployed task sequence will be the task sequence that runs and that decides what boot wim is downloaded

so if you have a task sequence with a x64 bit boot wim, and you deploy it to All Unknown Computers, and if you then network boot an unknown computer, it will attempt to run that task sequence.