Sisko

Performing a silent/unattended install

Hi guy's, what is the best way to have an application perform a silent install within SCCM 2007?

If its an .msi package, can I simply add the /s switch on the end of the command line in order for this to work? Or is there something more I need to do? I've recently re-created a program and its advertisement and I've added the /s switch onto the command line at the end, but so far nothing seems to of happened.

Granted, I have program notifications etc suppressed so the users should not aware of it being installed so it doesn't need any interaction from them. I've been checking "Progams & Features" on my machine as a test, waiting for the said progam to appear but so far no luck. I've also been into Config Mgr on my machine and initiated a policy retreival to speed up the process.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Sisko

Hi...

There's a load of different ways depending on the file type of the installer.

Without going into it too deep we'll stick with your example...

MSI's will use the switches specified by the Microsoft Installer. For example if you wanted to install "MyApp.msi" silently we would write the program command line like this:

msiexe.exe /i myapp.msi /qn

To break it down for you:

[msiexe.exe - we're telling SCCM to use the MS Installer] [/i - we're specifying we want to install the software] [myapp.msi - name of the msi, note if there was a folder structure we would put the folder name and a slash before the msi. Also if there was a space in the file name we would enclose the msi name in "double quotes"] [/qn q=quiet n=no user interface]

There's a whole load of other commands - fire up a command prompt and type msiexec /? and you'll see the pop up appear with all the switches. Note that this won't necessarily supress a reboot!

PS - /s is normally used with .exe file types and it's worth noting there can be a difference between /s & /S. Have a google for USSF - Universal Silent Switch Finder... If I can post links it's here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Launchers-Shutdown-Tools/Universal-Silent-Switch-Finder.shtml. This can be a great tool to help find the executables silent switch - doesn't work on MSIs though...

Just be aware though that the above info on MSIs isn't the gospel - some just won't work due to permissions or can be just plain annoying - I've had to repackage software with different wrappers on numerous occasions...

In addition - have a read about the SCCM logs which will help you monitor the installation of the software. I didn't want to back in the early days of my SCCM career but now I couldn't work without them.

I'll give you a tip - get hold of SMSTrace (Trace32.exe) it makes reading these log files a million times easier!

Here - this will get you started - on the client machine you are deploying to go and find:

c:\windows\system32\CCM\Logs\execmgr.log - lets you monitor the install and see any error messages...

and

c:\windows\system32\CCM\Logs\CAS.log - lets you monitor the transfer of the files from the SCCM distribution point to the client machine...

And if you aren't using the SCCM Client Centre - go and get it! I can't work without it now - its just a central working point for all things deployment related...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/smsclictr/

Wow, thanks for the in-depth replies Doc Norton, very helpful. I'll give your suggestions a go and let you know how I get on.

You mentioned you have occasionally had to re-package software with a different wrapper, do you mean you've changed a package from an .msi to be .exe wrapped as an example?

Thanks again,

Sisko

You mentioned you have occasionally had to re-package software with a different wrapper, do you mean you've changed a package from an .msi to be .exe wrapped as an example?

No worries - yes I have but with the help of Admin Studio or other software similar. I normally monitor the install using said software which takes a snapshot of a machine before and after and the delta is then captured by the Admin software and churned out as an .exe

IT Ninja (AppDeploy) do a similar [free!] version of this and can help in some situations...

Hi...

There's a load of different ways depending on the file type of the installer.

Without going into it too deep we'll stick with your example...

MSI's will use the switches specified by the Microsoft Installer. For example if you wanted to install "MyApp.msi" silently we would write the program command line like this:

msiexe.exe /i myapp.msi /qn

Still not had any luck in getting this app to install silently. Driving me round the bend, it works normally, but does nothing when I try and make it go silent.

I'm using the following command line for the progam:

msiexe.exe /i RemoteControlWebPlugin.msi /qn

Its a web plugin for Soti Mobi Control.

Any ideas on where i may be going wrong?

EDIT: Also, do I need to update the distribution points whenever a change is made to the program command line? Each time I've made a change, I've deleted and re-created the programme and corresponding advertisement just to make sure it takes effect. I also have it set so the "allow users to interact with this program" is unticked. and "suppress program notifications" enabled in the enviroment settings for the install program.

I was having a look through the execmgr logs to try and find out what was going wrong, and I came across this statement near the bottom of the log:

<![LOG[EnterRsRuningState failed to run script msiexe.exe /i RemoteControlWebPlugin.msi /quiet 0x80009106]LOG]!><time="10:43:24.484+-60" date="06-27-2014" component="execmgr" context="" type="2" thread="1052" file="executionrequest.cpp:3318">

Can anyone offer some insight as to why this silent install appears to be failing? I used remotecontrolwebplugin.msi /? at the command prompt to view the correct switches, yet it doesn't appear to be liking it still.

I must be missing something.

Sisko,

One possible solution: Your log says "failed to run script msiexe.exe"

There could be a typo there, because it's msiexec.exe (with a "c")

Potential typos aside, I have been through similar trials with other software. My first step is to Google for support documentation from the vendor. Most vendors will have a PDF that explains all of their installation options and syntax. Failing that, I would contact the vendor directly, and ask them for recommendations on silent installations.

Good luck.

Finally managed to get this working, its all good. :D

Now, final question, if I need to change which collection the advertisement points to, do I need to recreate the advertisement in order for it to take effect? Or can I just alter the collection the advertisement points to and it will take hold? Thanks