jimbojones444

3x Client Upgrade Packages!

Earlier this year we upgraded from "SCCM2012 RTM CU3" to "SCCM2012 R2CU1"

We've noticed that we now have 3x "Configuration Manager Client Upgrade Package" and 3x "Configuration Manager Client Package" packages sitting directly under the top-level "Packages" folder in the software library. [see attached screenshot1.PNG]

Two of the upgrade packages have deployments linked to the "All Systems" collection. We have used the Client Center tool to check the execution history on several machines, and they install both of the linked upgrade packages...

So I guess the questions I have are: Why do we have so many of these packages? and which can we safely delete?

cheers!

post-4914-0-43574800-1403677959_thumb.png

Hi peter, thanks for the reply.

We have now deleted all but one of both of these packages. Do you know if these packages should only reside in this top-level "Packages" folder in the software library? If we were to move one to a subfolder, will SCCM detect this after 4 hours and then regenerate it?

cheers!

As far as I know these packages are created each time you upgrade your sccm installation (Ive seen it before) They hold the new version of the sccm client.

im not exactly sure if they all contain the same files, you would have to check the source for that.

I'm guessing one is from rtm to sp1, second one from sp1 to R2 and the third from R2 to Cu3.

You can safely move them to a sub folder as its just a visual thing in the console or delete them as long as you don't delete the one that has the latest clients version.

thanks for the responses Peter and VRDRF.

We ended up deleting all but the two latest packages last week.

However these packages have now seemed to regenerate - bringing the total no of packages of this type to 14, as can be seen in the image below:

post-4914-0-82897400-1404098170_thumb.png

(also note that the package source is the same)

I understand that SCCM automatically recreates the primary client package if it is accidently deleted. Could it be automatically creating these packages as well?

thanks!