IT-Hilger

SCCM 2012 OSD Apply Driver Packages without importing them to the Database

Yes, I cant get this to work. I have Lenovo machines, when I go and use the windows 7 dvd as an install source and it comes to this section I get no IP for my nic card and it fails.now it cant be a driver issue with winpe cause I made it to the apply drivers section.

Hi! This is a very good idea! I love it! Thanks! I hate the driver repository integrated with ConfigMgr out-of-box. For this winroot thing: In "Patition Disk" step you can set OSDisk. For dism use

dism.exe /Image:%OSDisk%\ /Add-Driver /Driver:.\ /Recurse

What I cound'nt find: What means success code 2 50? Can you explain? Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi! This is a very good idea! I love it! Thanks! I hate the driver repository integrated with ConfigMgr out-of-box. For this winroot thing: In "Patition Disk" step you can set OSDisk. For dism use

dism.exe /Image:%OSDisk%\ /Add-Driver /Driver:.\ /Recurse

What I cound'nt find: What means success code 2 50? Can you explain? Thanks!

Hi Dietmar,

nice to hear, thanks. Nice idea with OSDisk variable!

DISM sometimes gives return code "2" or "50". By default, SCCM TS just takes "0" and "3010" as success codes.

When you don't add the return codes 2 and 50 as success codes, the apply drivers works fine, but SCCM thinks that there was an error because it doesn't know that this return codes also mean success.

Yes, I cant get this to work. I have Lenovo machines, when I go and use the windows 7 dvd as an install source and it comes to this section I get no IP for my nic card and it fails.now it cant be a driver issue with winpe cause I made it to the apply drivers section.

Hi Jeff,

after which step you get stuck with no IP adress?

In WinPE phase or after applying the Windows image?

Hi Everybody,

this thread is for those who want the old SCCM 2007 driver management back.

Normally you have to import every driver to the database first, put them into a driver package, and then deploy them during OSD.

In SCCM 2007 you could easily create a Driver Package from your Driver Source Folder and apply this Driver Package during OSD.

This way of Driver Management was much easier and more reliable than the new way in SCCM 2012.

But luckily there is still a method to prevent importing drivers into database and directly distribute driver packages to your clients.

Step 1

Download drivers for your brands and models.

Put them into seperate folders - one folder for one model - like you did in SCCM 2007

attachicon.gifdriver-folders.PNG

Step 2

Create a Package for each model and operating system. Then distribute this packages to your DP.

attachicon.gifdriver-package1.PNG

attachicon.gifdriver-package2.PNG

Step 3

Create a Step "Set Task Sequence Variable" under your Auto Apply Drivers Group (after the Apply Operating System Step) in your Task Sequence.

Task Sequence Variable: winrootdir

Task Sequence Value: D:\

Condition: If Folder "D:\Windows" exists

I created a second step after this with Drive Letter E:\. Because on some Notebooks the Systemroot is E:\ during OSD.

attachicon.gifcreate-variable1.PNG

attachicon.gifcreate-variable2.PNG

Step 4

Create TS Steps for each model to apply the driver package.

Type: Run Command Line

Command line:

DISM.exe /Image:%winrootdir% /Add-Driver /Driver:.\ /Recurse

Package: Choose the corresponding package you created in step 2

Success codes: Add 2 and 50

Condition: WMI Query (here an example for Dell Latitude E7240)

select * from win32_computersystem where Model like "Latitude E7240%"

attachicon.gifapply-package1.PNG

attachicon.gifapply-package2.PNG

Repeat the steps above for each computer model you want to image.

With this way of applying drivers we have 0 problems in our environment. Very easy and reliable.

BR

Achim

If you have questions - feel free to contact me http://ithilger.de/kontakt

Hi,

if you could help me to creation of package for .exe drivers that will be great, because while driver importing it doesnt take .exe drivers.

regards;

Sant

Hi,

if you could help me to creation of package for .exe drivers that will be great, because while driver importing it doesnt take .exe drivers.

regards;

Sant

Hi Sant,

thats different from (exe) package to package.

You must try to extract them and then use the .inf, .sys and .cat files.

You can try to extract the .exe with 7zip for example.

If this doesn't work, run the .exe and wait at the first dialog of the .exe program and don't click next.

Then open the %temp% folder on the pc and have a look inside the last modified folder in %temp% folder.

I think you should find the extracted driver files there.

BR

Achim

• Like 1

I hate to bump an old post but I found this extremely useful. I think I much prefer this to the native driver package model in terms of manageability - it's a lot cleaner to import and update driver packages. Thanks very much for the guide!

One thing though - I had issues with dism working until I removed the backslash off the driver path:

DISM.exe /Image:%osdisk%\ /Add-Driver /Driver:. /Recurse