IT-Hilger

SCCM 2012 OSD Apply Driver Packages without importing them to the Database

This solution is working on our environment via TS or MDT on Windows 7.

Has anyone tested it with Windows 10? from smssts logs, I can see driver has been picked up and not getting installed.

Any ideas? everyone...

Cheers!

Here it's working fine with Windows 10.

Are you sure that the drivers are correct for Windows 10?

BR

Here it's working fine with Windows 10.

Are you sure that the drivers are correct for Windows 10?

BR

Maybe you can help me get this working right. I am trying to push Windows 10 to an old Latitude E6420 (a random test system I have laying around). Everything almost works perfectly, but 4 drivers fail to install.

The last driver pack from Dell for that laptop was for Windows 8, and those are the drivers I am attempting to use... I know they work just fine on Windows 10 and can easily update the driver using Device Managers an point to the drivers in my SCCM reposistory. I can post any logs or screenshots to help figure it out. It is driving me nuts.

Maybe you can help me get this working right. I am trying to push Windows 10 to an old Latitude E6420 (a random test system I have laying around). Everything almost works perfectly, but 4 drivers fail to install.

The last driver pack from Dell for that laptop was for Windows 8, and those are the drivers I am attempting to use... I know they work just fine on Windows 10 and can easily update the driver using Device Managers an point to the drivers in my SCCM reposistory. I can post any logs or screenshots to help figure it out. It is driving me nuts.

Hi,

have you installed the latest CU Packs for ConfigMgr? (SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 CU2)

and are you using the latest version of MDT? (2013 Update 1)

I did the test with a Latitude E6320 - so almost the same device - and was also using the Windows 8 driver pack from Dell.

BR

• Like 1

Thanks so much for replying.

I have installed this hotfix (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3100144)which seems to be CU2.

I have installed this version to MTD (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48595)which seems to be the 2013 update 1.

It does look like I might not have the latest ADK downloaded, which I am doing right now and will test again after.

Just really frustrated that I am trying to do something that I thought I knew what I was doing, but clearly missing one little thing... which is always the case with SCCM.

Any help is massively appreciated.

My boot images are version 6.3.9600.16384. Is that correct?

No, thats not correct. They must be 10.*

I can tell you exactly tomorrow.

You should add the new Boot Images. Maybe there's the fault.

• Thanks 1

No, thats not correct. They must be 10.*

I can tell you exactly tomorrow.

You should add the new Boot Images. Maybe there's the fault.

That worked. Drivers installing correctly now. Thanks again.

Now I just have to figure out why that busted BitLocker hehe.

I've been trying to do this method and during the task sequence I can see the drivers download, then they act like they are installing. When the task sequence eventually fails and the computer reboots none of the drivers are installed on the system.

This is an HP Elitebook 840 G3 deploying Windows 7 - The environment is SCCM 2012 R2 ( I do not have SP1 installed yet).

The problem is I can't even copy the logs, since no drivers are installed I can't even use a USB key to get to the log, network isn't loaded so I can't copy via network. I have to try and open the log in wordpad.. and you know how that is.

Any thoughts, suggestions? Please help.

Thanks

I've been trying to do this method and during the task sequence I can see the drivers download, then they act like they are installing. When the task sequence eventually fails and the computer reboots none of the drivers are installed on the system.

This is an HP Elitebook 840 G3 deploying Windows 7 - The environment is SCCM 2012 R2 ( I do not have SP1 installed yet).

The problem is I can't even copy the logs, since no drivers are installed I can't even use a USB key to get to the log, network isn't loaded so I can't copy via network. I have to try and open the log in wordpad.. and you know how that is.

Any thoughts, suggestions? Please help.

Thanks

Hi,

did you completely follow the guide?

Did you extract the drivers in the source folders, so that you have the .inf, .cat, etc. files?

BR

just wanted to chime in on this thread because it's something i'm testing in my lab. unfortunately, the task sequence variable doesn't seem to be working at all for me. however, dism.exe /image:c:\ DOES work. i've tried setting a variable in the partition and apply OS steps and using that same variable with dism but that made no difference. i also tried going the same route in OP's guide by adding a task sequence variable step separately and that didn't work either. i am on 1602. hopefully someone is in the same boat?

just wanted to chime in on this thread because it's something i'm testing in my lab. unfortunately, the task sequence variable doesn't seem to be working at all for me. however, dism.exe /image:c:\ DOES work. i've tried setting a variable in the partition and apply OS steps and using that same variable with dism but that made no difference. i also tried going the same route in OP's guide by adding a task sequence variable step separately and that didn't work either. i am on 1602. hopefully someone is in the same boat?

don't know why task sequnce variables generally aren't working in your environment.

But why must you use them? If a hardcoded "c:\" is working for you...

don't know why task sequnce variables generally aren't working in your environment.

But why must you use them? If a hardcoded "c:\" is working for you...

OP along with several other users in this thread mentioned the guide worked for them, which in the examples reference the task sequence variable. i was just curious, that's all.

OP along with several other users in this thread mentioned the guide worked for them, which in the examples reference the task sequence variable. i was just curious, that's all.

do you use TS variables in any other steps in your TS? Are they working there?

Have a look at your smsts.log - there you should find the resolved value of the variable.

do you use TS variables in any other steps in your TS? Are they working there?

Have a look at your smsts.log - there you should find the resolved value of the variable.

hi. i use the SMSTSPostAction variable and that works perfectly, but that one is built-in. it seems if i specify my own, i.e. osdisk or winrootdir as referenced in this thread, doesn't seem to work.

hi. i use the SMSTSPostAction variable and that works perfectly, but that one is built-in. it seems if i specify my own, i.e. osdisk or winrootdir as referenced in this thread, doesn't seem to work.

if you create a step just to set a TS variable - what is the result?

Is it created successful?

if you create a step just to set a TS variable - what is the result?

Is it created successful?

are you asking if i'm successfully able to create this step in my task sequence or after i created it, does it show in my smsts.log?

are you asking if i'm successfully able to create this step in my task sequence or after i created it, does it show in my smsts.log?

go into your TS. Then Add -> General -> Set Task Sequence Variable. Add any task sequence variable.

When you then run your TS, what is the result / exit code of this step? Is the TS variable created successful?

Hi Guys, having trouble when upgraded MDT to 2013 update 2, all Surface Pros not getting driver install with Windows 10, HPs are fine. Using Windows 10 ADK 10240, CU2 update has got installed.

Any ideas?

Has anyone else had a problem with this lately?

Since updating to 5.00.8355.1306 this doesn't work for us any more.

I can't see any errors though. Where should I be looking?

Hello,

I followed the instructions exactly but drivers do not install. The only error I can see in the smsts log is a network error due to the network driver not installing: (sending with winhttp failed; 80072ee7 TSManager 11/23/2016 9:45:42 AM 704 (0x02C0)). Is there something I should specifically look for in the smsts log? I assume either the Task Sequence Variable or DISM command line is the issue but nothing in the log points to that as far as I can tell.

Thanks,

Mike

Hello,

I followed the instructions exactly but drivers do not install. The only error I can see in the smsts log is a network error due to the network driver not installing: (sending with winhttp failed; 80072ee7 TSManager 11/23/2016 9:45:42 AM 704 (0x02C0)). Is there something I should specifically look for in the smsts log? I assume either the Task Sequence Variable or DISM command line is the issue but nothing in the log points to that as far as I can tell.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

can you create a TS from scratch and test it there?

BR