Tom5674

Adding shortcuts to Public Desktop

Question

Our users do not have rights to install software etc on company computers. Therefore I have written scripts that will allow them to update software already installed by logging in with an admin account and running the update. Because we have so many users logging into different computers this software and these shortcuts need to be available to all of them. In the past I could just put them in the "all users" desktop folder. However with Win7 they need to be in the c:\users\public\public desktop (hidden) folder. This can be done if I log in as an admin, but with 700 to 1000 computers I need to have an automated way to do this. I have tried changing rights etc to the public desktop folder but I can't change the read-only setting. I have lowered the UAC setting all the way. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

This can be done if I log in as an admin, but with 700 to 1000 computers I need to have an automated way to do this

are they domain joined, if so the domain admin will have local admin permissions on these machines making it easy to place files and folders in the public desktop hiddent folder

if not, then please explain

are they domain joined, if so the domain admin will have local admin permissions on these machines making it easy to place files and folders in the public desktop hiddent folder

if not, then please explain

They are all in a domain. So are you saying that I need to setup my script to run as an admin, even if an admin is logged in? Asking because that is how I am trying to create the script. Remember I don't want to have to touch every computer remotely to copy these shortcuts over.

the scripts can be copied over via a login script or whatever, that part is easy

what is not easy is defining what the script needs to do and what user account should run the script

but i have to ask, why are you doing things this way, why not use SCCM or similar to manage these computers ?

the scripts can be copied over via a login script or whatever, that part is easy

what is not easy is defining what the script needs to do and what user account should run the script

but i have to ask, why are you doing things this way, why not use SCCM or similar to manage these computers ?

I have an admin account to use, and I just need these shortcuts created in the Pubic folder. Not all of our locations are configured the same way. Such as computer #1 may be the database server for one app, but #2 maybe the server for another app. In another location the setup may be entirely different. Because of this we have had to do tweaking to some locations. As far as SCCM I wasn't aware that I could configure items in folders on a per computer basis. That sounds like it would be easier, but I have no idea how to do this.

i meant to use SCCM to do the deploying/managing of software applications and updates on the client computers, you can 'let' the users install or update their own software by letting them use the RAP (Run Advertised Programs) feature in ConfigMgr client

have you considered this approach, it would simply and standardise your current approach especially if you have sccm in the network already

i meant to use SCCM to do the deploying/managing of software applications and updates on the client computers, you can 'let' the users install or update their own software by letting them use the RAP (Run Advertised Programs) feature in ConfigMgr client

have you considered this approach, it would simply and standardise your current approach especially if you have sccm in the network already

Where can I find out info on setting this up?

right here !

but first i'd need to know what you have setup and what you want to achieve (keep it simple)

Our SCCM server is still in the experimental stage. We are using WSUS server for Microsoft updates. All computers are in our Domain. Approx. 170 different locations.

Each location may have different apps they need to run. The database for these programs is kept on a single local computer and then there is a client version installed on the other local computers. Because of this we don't have one image that will work for all. Most of the software programs update monthly. Manufacturer ships CD's monthly. In the past we (IT dept) install the program and then setup a script which allows the local user to run the update. We need anyone who logs into the computer to be able to run these updates.

sorry i just got busy...

I'm curious what type of software you have to replace or update monthly, if you can share that info then please do and it\'ll help

but essentially, as with the guides here on windows-noob, if you can deploy the FireFox application (simple) you can deploy any application, and then you have more power, such as what computers get them (think of collections of computers based on AD groups or whatever you want), reports, user ability to install via Run Advertised Programs and so forth

please look at the FireFox guide to give you some ideas