Tom5674

Adding shortcuts to Public Desktop

Question

Our users do not have rights to install software etc on company computers. Therefore I have written scripts that will allow them to update software already installed by logging in with an admin account and running the update. Because we have so many users logging into different computers this software and these shortcuts need to be available to all of them. In the past I could just put them in the "all users" desktop folder. However with Win7 they need to be in the c:\users\public\public desktop (hidden) folder. This can be done if I log in as an admin, but with 700 to 1000 computers I need to have an automated way to do this. I have tried changing rights etc to the public desktop folder but I can't change the read-only setting. I have lowered the UAC setting all the way. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Software for example is from YADA called Colornet it is for mixing Dupont automotive paint, we also have software from PPG and BASF. Pricing and mixes change. So with stores from coast to coast it varies which brand they carry. Plus one location may not have the color apps on all computers etc.

ok well my suggestion to you is to test the theory out in a lab environment first, and see for yourself how it works or could work in your environment, then based on the results of that move forward

I discovered that my original script still put the icons on the all users desktop even though that folder is in a different location. Here is a sample.

Dim WSHShell

Set WSHShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

Dim MyShortcut, MyDesktop, DesktopPath

' Read desktop path using WshSpecialFolders object

DesktopPath = ("C:\documents and settings\All Users\Desktop")

' Create a shortcut object on the desktop

Set MyShortcut = WSHShell.CreateShortcut(DesktopPath & "\Basic Mixing Update.lnk")

' Set shortcut object properties and save it

MyShortcut.TargetPath = WSHShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("c:\pgms\PPG update.exe")

MyShortcut.WorkingDirectory = WSHShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%windir%")

MyShortcut.WindowStyle = 4

MyShortcut.IconLocation = WSHShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("c:\pgms\PPG update.exe, 0")

MyShortcut.Save

'WScript.Echo "A shortcut to Basic Mixing Update now exists on your Desktop."

' ********************************************************************************

' *

' * Welcome

' *

Sub Welcome()

Dim intDoIt

intDoIt = MsgBox(L_Welcome_MsgBox_Message_Text, _

vbOKCancel + vbInformation, _

L_Welcome_MsgBox_Title_Text )

If intDoIt = vbCancel Then

WScript.Quit

End If

End Sub