Kops

Select OU in Task Sequence

Our AD structure separates computers by floors 0-5. We had previously used a WMI query based on a computer name to determine which OU to place the computer in, based on the first character of the name. For example, a computer named 3239PC1 would be 3rd floor, room 239, and be placed in the 3rd floor OU. We are now changing our computer naming scheme to reflect the asset tag number of the device, so I can no longer query the name to determine the OU.

I use a OSDComputerName variable to prompt for a computer name during task sequence, but haven't been able to find something similar to prompt for which OU to deploy to. Has anyone been able to do something like this?

Thanks for the recommendation. That looks quiet impressive, definitely something I am going to experiment with.

I was able to get this working in a much simpler fashion though. I created a collection variable called 'OU' on the 'All Unknown Computers' device collection, so I am now prompted for both OU and OSDComputerName during OSD. Then, in my task sequence, I am using about 5 different 'Join Domain or Workgroup' tasks that have a condition checking 'If OU = Level 1' or 'If OU = Level 2' etc, and based upon this, will add the computer into the correct OU.

Seems to be working like a charm :)