xc3ss1v3

Deploying OSD to a tablet without network port

Has anyone had success using a USB-Ethernet adapter to deploy an OSD via PXE on a tablet or XPS type system without a network port? So far, I've been able to inject the drivers for the adapter into the boot image and boot the system from a USB stick so that the system will be allowed network access and start the OSD TS. However, after it applies the OS and restarts after driver installation, the system no longer has network access and the TS eventually fails because it cannot talk to the site servers.

I'm guessing this is being caused the by drivers for the adapter not being applied to the OS such that after the reboot the boot image is no longer being used and so the adapter does not work any longer. I've tried inserting a "Apply Driver Package" step after the OS application step hoping that would allow the adapter to function, but that didn't seem to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

The task sequence completes successfully (aside from not installing the applications because of the network unavailability). In doing some more investigation, it appears as though the drivers for the USB3 Controller get installed, but the Fresco Logic USB Root Hub does not, although those drivers are all available and show to install during the TS. I've noticed that as soon as I run the setup application for the device, that driver successfully installs and the device starts functioning. Of course doing that in the TS will take some strange voodoo that I'm not aware of at this point.

Any ideas?

Have you added the USB Network card drivers to SCCM it self to allow the TS to install them as part of the drivers install?

It doesn't seem to pick mine up automatically, so I force the install of drivers after the OS has been applied, but before a reboot (so before it leaves WinPE).

This seems to do the trick for me :)

Thanks

(This is using Dells USB Network card on a Dell Tablet).