Muhammad

PXE Boot Issue

Thanks for your help.

Sorry I cdnt get in touch yesterday as i was in training yesterday afternoon.

I tried 1st step try to PXE boot, Which you advise me but the system which is Windows 7 VM in Vmware vSphere 5.1 is still not showing in Collection.

May be its because of that the VM I am trying PXE Boot doesnt have operating system install and ofcourse does not have SCCM Client Installed on it.

The second step which you advise me which I am copying as under for reference. Can you be more specific step wise so I can perform that process

successfully as you advise me.

If you want to deploy OSD to unknown computers, the collection you send it to is "Unknown Computers" or "All Systems", but in practice, I've seen many people the "All Systems" collection isn't the best to use for OSD, but I've used it many times and it's fine :).

I can go in to more detail if you wish

Can you please go more in detail to perform these steps.

Many Thanks in Advance

Okay, I will describe how to add a PC via mac address for OSD first:

On VMWare, right click on the machine in question, choose "Edit Settings".

In the "Hardware" tab, choose the network adapter. On the right hand side, you should see "MAC Address"... Make a note of the MAC address, we will add this to SCCM in a few seconds. (You can copy and paste it, so maybe highlight it and "copy" it.

post-20536-0-62030700-1405191310_thumb.png

On the SCCM Console, go to "Assets and Compliance > Devices".

Along the top will be a few options, choose "Import Computer Information"

post-20536-0-15420800-1405191305_thumb.png

A new window will appear, choose "Import single computer"

post-20536-0-98913200-1405191309_thumb.png

Give the computer a name (this will be the name SCCM will give the machine once it has been imaged).

Insert the MAC Address which we made a note of earlier

You can leave the "SMBIOS GUID" section blank.

Leave the "Source computer" blank as well.

post-20536-0-57210800-1405191308_thumb.png

Choose "Next >"

You will see a preview

post-20536-0-16535400-1405191307_thumb.png

Choose Next again.

You will now be asked which collection you want to add the computer to. This, by default is "All Systems". You can choose the option underneath to select a collection which has the OSD Deployed to it, if you don't have it deployed to "All Systems".

post-20536-0-56081100-1405191306_thumb.png

Once you have picked your collection, choose "Next" again, and you should be taken to the summary screen. Make sure everything is correct, and click next.

post-20536-0-81577500-1405191307_thumb.png

post-20536-0-31016600-1405191309_thumb.png

Once it says successful, (should be a couple of seconds), go to the collection in SCCM where you added it to:

post-20536-0-93567300-1405191305_thumb.png

Choose "Update Membership", this will hopefully speed the process up for SCCM to add the machine to it's database/collections.

You may not need to do this step, but I find I have to, to speed it up.

Give it a minute or so, and choose refresh and check to see if it's in the collection (with what name you gave it at the begining of adding it to SCCM).

If it's there, boot the VM and see if it works :).

One thing you MAY find, is that if it boots, you'll get to the WinPE screen and it will say "Preparing network connections" and then suddenly restart.

If this happens, you will need to add the VMWare network drives to the boot image.

If you are able to, maybe try it with Hyper-V on a physical machine which supports virtualization. This is available on Windows 8.1, but I'm not sure about Windows 7...etc. But I have a feeling certain editions of it supported it.

The boot image will already have support for Hyper-V on it, so you shouldn't have any issues with it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/hyper-v-run-virtual-machines

Good luck, hope this helps.