JWiginton

Anyone know how to get USMT 4.0 to set a hard-link store in ConfMgr 07 SP2?

Question

After a bit of struggle this past week and scrapping my previous VM setup from Microsoft and just building a machine for it, I finally got my test client to migrate from XP to Win 7. Now, I need to know how to set it up so the USMT 4.0 that I downloaded as part of the Windows AIK for Windows 7 RC will hard-link the files on the target computer as part of the migration. I have created a USMT package in my ConfigMgr server and specify it in the task, but it's just not working. I saw this screen shot on the web and I want to know how to get all these options for capturing the user state.

http://windowsteamblog.com/cfs-filesystemf...00_5F59B1D0.jpg

Any help you all can give me I'd REALLY appreciate it. I've spent hours searching Google with no luck.

It's great to see all this on the forum as we are about to do the same on our network. I have been doing some USMT using a USB stick and running a batch file to copy the users profiles and shortcuts over, which a majority of the time has worked really well, except for a few hic-ups.

One of the problems I have seen is that after I have done a migration, the view of the start menue and task bar changes, no matter who logs on to the PC or laptop.

Where I expect to find lots of folders under START>All Programs it only shows a few, and this is the same if log on as an administrator!!! HELP

Ok I figured this out, it was my batch file, I used the /sf switch when executing the loadstate command. I removed this from the batch file, and everything worked okay again. BTW I also found a fix for it, it's this;

SET PUBLIC=

SET ProgramData=

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /v "Common Desktop" /d "%%PUBLIC%%\Desktop" /f

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /v "Common Documents" /d "%%PUBLIC%%\Documents" /f

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /v "CommonPictures" /d "%%PUBLIC%%\Pictures" /f

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /v "CommonMusic" /d "%%PUBLIC%%\Music" /f

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /v "CommonVideo" /d "%%PUBLIC%%\Videos" /f

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /v "{3D644C9B-1FB8-4f30-9B45-F670235F79C0}" /d "%%PUBLIC%%\Downloads" /f

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /v "Common Start Menu" /d "%%ProgramData%%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" /f

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /v "Common Programs" /d "%%ProgramData%%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" /f

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /v "Common Startup" /d "%%ProgramData%%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" /f

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /v "Common AppData" /d "%%ProgramData%%" /f

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /v "Common Templates" /d "%%ProgramData%%\Microsoft\Windows\Templates" /f

just create a batch file with it and run it..it will restore the state of the PC.