P@docIT

Restoring Task Sequences

Question

Hi all a few quick questions.

We had a disaster here at that deleted our SCCM server. (VM). Apparently our server team was only backing up the packages folder and nothing else including the VMDK. Anyway, we were about to move to CM2012 so we decided that if were going to rebuild anyway might as well move to 2012. So far so good.

The only other thing saved form our 2007 environment was the DB (fortunately backed up by our sql team). This was also a primary site in a hierarchy.

My questions.

1. Do Task sequences created in the Primary site get pushed to the CAS and if so are they visible in SCCM or are they just in a DB. i.e could I have the CAS admin export them and send me the xml files?

2. If not, will rebuilding the a 2007 environment and importing the db work? Really I just need to get my TS's back in their XML format so I can use them to rebuild the ts's in 2012.

If anyone knows of an alternate way to get the TS info from the DB please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

4 answers to this question

hi Mike,

first of all why would you install a CAS., it's really not needed unless you intend supporting 100,000 clients, adding a CAS will be sure to cause you issues further down the line when it comes to replication, secondly, if you do decide to use a CAS, and later create a task sequence on a CAS or any of it's primary servers, that task sequence will appear on all primaries,

I'd highly advise against installing a CAS unless you really need it, the guides here will show you how to install a Standalone Primary

Sorry might not have been clear. Our 2007 environment was setup as a CAS. I work for a gov agency. The parent agency controlled the CAS and all the agencies underneath were primaries. So we were responsible only for our primary site (the one that was deleted). I was just wondering if items created in our former primary site were maybe pushed up to the CAS so I could have them exported from there.

Moving forward with 2012 our parent agency decided that everyone would just do their own primary site (no cas) which is what we've built and is working fine.

That being said the only thing i really need access to from the old site are my task sequences. All that's left is the Database from our old 2007 primary site. Just trying to figure out the best way to restore this DB and export my TSs so I can use them as a template to rebuild my TSs in 2012. Build a lab 2007 site and restore DB?

Hope that makes a little more sense.

Well i rebuilt sccm 2007 (primary standalone) and imported the old db into sql. Worked perfectly. I was just hoping someone could confirm before i did a bunch of work for nothing, but it ended up working the way I had hoped.

Thanks,

Mike