ramlan

How to package IE 11 for silent install (Win 7 x64)

I have been given the task to create a package and deploy IE 11 in silent mode with all the pre req that are needed for I E 11 for Win 7 x 64 workstations. Not sure how to go about. Appreciate any guidance from the forum will be of great help.

The I E 11 package should be availble in software center for install at users discretion with a deadline of 4 days to complete the install.

Infra:

SCCM 2012 R2 (running on Server 2012 R2)

Primary Site

Thanks

Ra,

Are you pushing out software updates through SCCM? If so, might I suggest that you deploy IE11 (KB2841134) through the Software Updates mechanism? Your SCCM console will show you which machines need IE11, and you can just deploy the version that's applicable to IE11 for Windows 7 x64.

If you deploy it through Software Updates, you can also set the deadline for 4 days (or whatever you need), and the user can install it at their discretion, up until the deadline.

I just created a package for IE 11

Create New Package - Standard Package - IE11-Windows6.1-x64-en-us.exe /quiet /norestart

and deployed to a test collection in the lab and monitored execmgr.log for exit code. The package installed successfully. Restarted the system and IE 11 is working fine.

Will check software updates from console for production deployment.

Thanks

Yes, I'm sure that you can create a custom package for IE11. But Microsoft provides an automated way to deploy it (via Software Updates), plus the built-in detection logic that figures out which machines need it installed.

If you need special/custom settings for IE11, I guess a package may make the most sense. Otherwise, I just think it's easier to deploy it through Software Updates.