Dietmar

Local admin profile path in subfolder

Question

Hi, I use SCCM 2007 SP1 R2, MDT 2008 installed.

I have to install Office 2003 with custom settings in a mst-file on Windows XP with SP3. To get this working fine I use a run command line task sequence running as local administrator. This works fine! However, the profile of the local Administrator is created in a subfolder like C:\Documents and Settings\{MachineName}\Administrator and not C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.

How can I prevent this behavior? I thought after sysprep and deploy the image the admin profile is moved to the right folder but it isn't. On the new machine the admin profile is still in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\{MachineName}\Administrator. {MachineName} is the name of the reference machine and not of the new machine. It's confusing me a little bit.

After searching the Internet I found an article which describes this method to move profiles:

* logon as user with administrative rights

* open regedit

* search this key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\{SID}

* change the value of the REG_EXPAND_SZ ProfileImagePath from %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\{MachineName}\Administrator to

%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\Administrator

* logon as Administrator

* open cmd

* enter set and verify the profile path

Do you think it's OK to move the built-in Administrator profile with this method? Thanks!

6 answers to this question

are you only deploying Office 2003 using a Task Sequence, or are you deploying XPsp3 with office as part of the installation, if it is the latter then at what part of the installation are you installing office

I build the XP master image with a imported mdt task sequence and Office is a part of this installation. The problem was that the user settings in the mst file did not work because SCCM installs software with system account. I got this working running the installation of Office with "run commandline task sequence" with the run as function of SCCM 2007 R2. First I set a task sequence varibale LOCALADMIN to %_SMSTSMachineName%\Administrator. Then I run the commandline as %LOCALADMIN%. This works fine. However, the problem with the additional profile folder. I know it not a technical problem. It's more a kind of "cosmetic" problem.

P.S.: This is the command line: Setup.exe /i "Pro11.msi" /m /qn ALLUSERS=2 TRANSFORMS="MySettings.mst"

Another question: What do you mean with "are you only deploying Office 2003 using a Task Sequence"? Is it possible to deploy software to existing clients using task sequences instead of "classic" advertisements? Sorry, I'm new to SCCM.

you could deploy software using a task sequence separately sure, that way you could use Groups within the task sequence to detect various things, like isLaptop or isDesktop or whatever and based upon the detection, install certain software...

instead of using Allusers=2 can you please try AllUsers=1 and see what happens ?

Hi! Sorry for late answer. No ALLUSERS=1 did no difference. I still have the same problem. If I install with a "run as" action in task sequence only the "%_SMSTSMachineName\Administrator" works. In technet forum I got the tip to only use "Administrator" without domain but this do not work.

"Install Application" action in TS do not apply the settings in .mst file. I evertime have to click "repair" in ARP to apply settings in mst. Once more: On Windows 7 it's the same with Office 2003. Our management still do not want to pay the licenses for a newer office version for 6000 clients.