FromTheUnderground

Computer with agent showing as Not monitored

Question

I am taking over an instance of SCOM 2012 R2 and running into issues when trying to add new machines to monitor. I go through the Discovery Wizard and choose the specific machines I want to monitor. The agent gets installed; I confirmed this by logging into each of the machines. After the agent is installed, the Health state stays at Not monitored. When I run Get-SCOMAgent in Powershell, those same machines show Uninitialized under the HealthState column. The machines were added roughly 15 hours ago.

Am I missing something? Are there specific things I should be looking for in the log files?

Thanks in advance.

Try this:

On one of the systems that are not showing as monitored, stop the Microsoft Monitoring Service (aka the SCOM Agent), and then rename the HealthState folder, and then restart the Agent.

The Health State folder will re-generate the files/folders within. It may start out with 11 folders/objects, but should eventually contain 13. There will be 2 folders with "temporary files" in the name (I can't remember the full name). This will normally be in succession (i.e. "1",, "2"). If there is an issue, then one of the folders will disappear and be re-created constantly; and thus increasing the number each time.

Start with that, and let us know.

Hi AdinE,

I tried the steps you mentioned and all the folders were recreated when I stared the Agent service again. Still the machines show as No Monitored.

I decided to do some more tests and found that I am only having this issue with systems running Server 2012 R2. All other systems, Server 2008, 2008 R2, and 2012 all connect up and are monitored without any issues. I verified the 2012 R2 management pack was imported and available.

FromTheUnderground,

Can you try the following.

- Uninstall the Windows Server Management Packs

- Uninstall the SCOM Agent from the affected system(s)

- Delete (or re-name) the Health Services folder

- Re-install SCOM Agent

By doing this, I want to see if the issue is with the Agent itself not reporting/showing as 'Healthy', or if it's something from the Management Pack.

Also, can you let us know if the Windows Server 2012 R2 system(s) are running/configured with any Server Roles?

Glad to hear it is working.

Maybe for the benefit of everyone else, can you specific what update it was (i.e. was it a SCOM UR that wasn't applied, or an OS patch, etc.)? If it was an OS patch, maybe provide the KB number so that it can be used for reference?

Thanks.

Hi,

I have the same problem like "From the Underground"

KB2965445 hasn't fixed my problem. I see NO ERRORS on client or server. Very strange!

It's a new installation of SCOM 2012 R2 with UR3

All Clients will stay in "Not monitored". I also tested with cleaning the health state.

Nothing changed for me.

Firewall are disabled on clients and management server!

HealthState InMaintenanceMode
----------- -----------------
Uninitialized False

Any ideas? How can i troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks for your reply,

Mav

Hi Maverick_1980,

Can you first confirm the state of your Management Server(s)? Let's start with making sure you main SCOM system is functioning correctly.

If you want, you can even revert back, and uninstall any SCOM Agents, Management Packs you imported, etc. so that we are only working with the SCOM Management server(s), as a starting point.

Can you also provide additional information about your setup/installation? For example, is it a single server? Do you have SQL on a dedicated server, is SQL clustered, how many Management Servers do you have? Did you install SCOM Reporting? The Web Console? ACS? and so forth.

Hi AdinE,

it's an standalone installation (Version 7.1.10226.0) with installed Web- and Operation Console. Reporting Services are not installed. The database has been installed on a dedicated server. It's an shared Microsoft SQL server 2012.

SQL is not clustered!

I have uninstalled Management Packs and SCOM Agents.