FromTheUnderground

Computer with agent showing as Not monitored

Question

I am taking over an instance of SCOM 2012 R2 and running into issues when trying to add new machines to monitor. I go through the Discovery Wizard and choose the specific machines I want to monitor. The agent gets installed; I confirmed this by logging into each of the machines. After the agent is installed, the Health state stays at Not monitored. When I run Get-SCOMAgent in Powershell, those same machines show Uninitialized under the HealthState column. The machines were added roughly 15 hours ago.

Am I missing something? Are there specific things I should be looking for in the log files?

Thanks in advance.

OK, so the first thing you should do is reboot the Management Server, then open the Console and check the health status of the Management Server. We want to ensure that it is green. You should also confirm that the Data Access Service Account (DAS) has the correct permissions on the SCOM Management Server.

See the following TechNet article for information on account access: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh457003.aspx.

Now i have reset the environment.

Everything is now installed on one system. DB and all components of SCOM.

SCOM Management Server is now healthy and also the Management Agents!

I have imported MP from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2012 R2

But how can i monitor for example CPU and RAM usage of a system?

Do i have to move a computer account to a template with counter information?

I only have to import the MP? That's it?

OK, that's good that everything is reset, and the Management Server is healthy.

Quick point, only import the Management Packs for the technology that you are using (and actually want to monitor). For example, if you are not using Windows Server 2003 in your environment, then don't import that MP (as it adds more work to SCOM and the Agents to process).

So, un-import any MPs that you don't need. I'd suggest to only import the Windows Server OS management pack into the environment first, and as mentioned, only for the OS version you want/will monitor. Now, you may have to import previous OS version DISCOVERY MPs, but you don't have to import the MONITORING MPs.

With the Windows Server (assuming 2012/R2) MP imported, move onto installing the SCOM Agent on one or two servers. With the Agents installed, wait a little while for them to report back to SCOM. Within the Agent Managed area, they should report back as "green" or healthy in a little while.

If they report back as healthy, wait a while longer, and check it periodically. See if it changed from Healthy to Un-monitored. If it does, you can check the state/status to see when (and hopefully some details as to why) it changed. You will also want to ensure that the Agent Action Account used during the discovery and Agent installation has the required rights on the system. Within the MP documentation, it will tell you what security permissions are required for that specific MP, etc. So take a look at that as well.