taylormcc

duplicate guid in SCCM 2012 R2

Did you find a solution to this? I have the same problem and symptoms... Computers imaged with SCCM client installed. I can get the GUID to change using ccmdelcert or deleting smscfg.ini but upon a reboot it will revert back to the old/bad GUID. Thanks.

Hi Rudy,

Unfortunately I did not find a solution. The tech from Microsoft tried many things but eventually said I'd need to make a new clean image (without the SCCM client on it)

What i have done is , I run SCCM build task sequence to build the Gold master, which puts the gold master in the domain. then I do these steps:

Open administrative cmd prompt, do a NET STOP CCMEXEC to stop this service

* Open the certificate console for the local computer, delete the two certs displayed in the SMS node (MMC > Certificates > Local Computer)

* Delete the smscfg.ini from C:\windows\

* Lastly, sysprep the VM with an unattained answer file.

Sys prep puts the PC into a workgroup. then I take the snap shot for VDI.

once the pool is recompose with this GM, the first VM to come online from the pool gets a unique GUID (this is different to the GM GUID) and shows up in the SCCM console. once the second vm comes online, that VM takes the same GUID as the first VM and the first VM disappear from the SCCM console and only the second VM shows up in the console. once all the VMs comes online in that pool. only the last VM to come online appears in the SCCM console because they all have the same GUID.

not sure what i am doing wrong.

I also have a duplicate GUID problem and have tried all solutions with no success. It sounds like the database is not removing the duplicate GUID when the computer is removed from SCCM. Is there a way to go into the database and delete the duplicate GUIDs? I know that sounds scary but attacking this problem from the client end is not resolving the issue.

Hi,

Could you go in Certificates > Local Computer > Personal, and check on two machines that have duplicate GUID if they do not share the same machine certificate due to image ? If not, just take a look in the other folders to check suspicious duplicate certificate.

Hi,

Has this problem been resolved? We had this same problem.

After several calls to MS my homeslice and I got it working.

Identifed 2 machines

Stopped the CCMEXEC service on the client

Deleted the SMS certificates (if any)

Deleted SMSCFG.ini

Ran the sql query using both machine names to clean the db. (see below)

Uninstalled the Client using ccmsetup.exe /uninstall

Reinstalled the client.

Run this query on the DB server. If you have dups, this will confirm it. Replace "computername" with the problem device and execute.

select * from System_DISC where Name0 like '%computername%'

In order to delete duplicate guids, run this.Replace "computername" with the problem device.

DECLARE @Name VARCHAR(25)
SET @Name = 'compuername'
DELETE FROM SYSTEM_DISC WHERE Name0 = @Name
DELETE FROM ClientKeyData WHERE SMSID IN (SELECT SMS_Unique_Identifier0 FROM SYSTEM_DISC WHERE Name0 =@Name)
DELETE FROM MachineIdGroupXRef WHERE MachineID IN (SELECT ItemKey FROM SYSTEM_DISC WHERE Name0 = @Name)
DELETE FROM System_AUX_Info WHERE Netbios_Name0 = @Name
DELETE FROM ImportedMachineIdentity WHERE ItemKey IN (SELECT ItemKey FROM SYSTEM_DISC WHERE Name0 = @Name)

Good luck...What a pain in the the #$#$ this was!

This is to add onto what Scott Schaaf mentioned. 

I wanted to share my experience in case people out there needs help.

You can get a report that shows computers that might share the same GUID.

I am using SCCM 1810.

On the lower left, you will see "Monitoring".  It's in between "Software Library" and "Administration"

Now click on "Overview" then "Reporting".  Click on "Reports".  From the search area type in the word unique and search for it.  You will see a report that is named "Computers that might share the same Configuration Manager Unique Identifier".  Open that.

That's is just the beginning, to completely give a unique SMS GUID, you need to do this.

1.Run the SQL
2.Stop SMS Agent Host service
3.Delete SMSCFG from C:\Windows
4.Delete the SMS Certificate
5.CCMSetup.exe /uninstall
6.CCMSetup.exe

1. Run the SQL

Do this on the SQL server that SCCM is on. If you have multiple databases, select the SCCM database and do a "New Query"

You run two queries.  One query is to find the duplicate GUID based on the computer name.  The second query is to delete the duplicate GUID based on the computer name.
**I didn't write the queries and all credits goes to the person who wrote it**

Run this query on the DB server.
If you have dups, this will confirm it. Replace "ComputerName" with the problem device and execute.

select * from System_DISC where Name0 like '%ComputerName%'

In order to delete duplicate guids, run this.
Replace "ComputerName" with the problem device.

DECLARE @Name VARCHAR(25)
SET @Name = 'ComputerName'
DELETE FROM SYSTEM_DISC WHERE Name0 = @Name
DELETE FROM ClientKeyData WHERE SMSID IN (SELECT SMS_Unique_Identifier0 FROM SYSTEM_DISC WHERE Name0 =@Name)
DELETE FROM MachineIdGroupXRef WHERE MachineID IN (SELECT ItemKey FROM SYSTEM_DISC WHERE Name0 = @Name)
DELETE FROM System_AUX_Info WHERE Netbios_Name0 = @Name
DELETE FROM ImportedMachineIdentity WHERE ItemKey IN (SELECT ItemKey FROM SYSTEM_DISC WHERE Name0 = @Name)

2. Stop SMS Agent Host service

Open a RUN command and type services.msc.
Browse to SMS Agent Host and STOP the service.

3. Delete SMSCFG.ini from C:\Windows

4. Delete the SMS Certificate

Open a RUN command and type MMC
Go to File and select "Add/Remove Snap-in"
Add the "Certificates"
Click OK
Radio check "Computer account"
Clikc Next
Radio check "Local Computer"
Click Finish
Click OK

Scroll down to SMS >> Certificates.
Delete the SMS Certificates

5. CCMSetup.exe /uninstall

Open File Explorer and browse to
C:\Windows\ccmsetup

Open a command prompt and change directory
cd C:\Windows\ccmsetup

Type the following
ccmsetup.exe /uninstall

*Refresh your File Explorer and make sure that only two items exist.
The two items are: Logs and ccmsetup.exe
If you don’t see other items being deleted, make sure to run the command again and keep refreshing your File Explorer each time until you see the data being deleted.  Remember, only two items should exist.

Monitor the uninstallation of Configuration Manager from the Control Panel. Give it a few minutes and refresh the Control Panel. Make sure the Configuration Manager is gone.

6.CCMSetup.exe

Make sure your File Explorer is still open.  If not, browse to
C:\Windows\ccmsetup
Open a command prompt and change directory
cd C:\Windows\ccmsetup
Click Enter on your keyboard to move to the next line
Type in the following and press Enter once done

CCMSetup.exe

*Monitor the C:\Windows\ccmsetup directory.  You will start to see other items populating the directory.
If you don’t, execute the command above again.

You can view the SMSCFG.ini files to see the unique key in C:\Windows

You can view in SCCM the status of the client.  Give it a few minutes and it will turn green.

Edited by slyaii