Question

Hi, all:
Looking for some help troubleshooting a PXE issue. Thus far, I have set up WDS, MDT 2013, and ADK 8.1 and can successfully capture/deploy a Windows 8.1 image by running the Lite Touch.vbs script from my deployment share. While deploying in this method isn't terrible, the goal is to ensure that it can be done via PXE. I had previously been able to successfully boot Windows 7 machines with WDS, MDT 2012 Update 1, and ADK 8.0, but recently had to upgrade to roll out 8.1 images. Now I can't get the new 8.1 machines to boot via PXE. System in the example is prestaged in ADDS. Options 60 and 67 are unchecked on WDS server as DHCP and DNS are on another server.

I've enabled logging on WDS in an effort to figure out where the PXE is failing, but it doesn't tell me much. Events only indicate that wdsnbp.com was downloaded via TFTP successfully. The machines attempting to boot say the same thing. I receive the following when booting:

>>Start PXE over IPv4.

Station IP address is 10.1.50.129

Server IP address is 10.1.1.216

NBP filename is boot\x64\wdsnbp.com
NBP filesize is 30832 Bytes.
Downloading NBP file...
Succeed to download NBP file.

System automatically reboots and goes straight into Windows. It's almost as if there's no boot image being referenced in the NBP file, but I've checked my Boot Images in WDS to ensure that an 8.1 image exists. I replaced the 8.1 boot image just in case and the issue is the same.

Any thoughts? Your help is appreciated!

5 answers to this question

that is UEFI network boot you are seeing and not legacy network boot, normally after "Succeed to download NBP file." you'd see WDS kick in with a message to press Enter to start network boot,

what OS is your server running on (the one hosting Windows Deployment Services)

Took a week off recently and hadn't been able to test. Worked with deployment via PXE a little more this week. Found that after disabling UEFI, I'm unable to deploy the image. An error states that Windows cannot be installed on the disk type. This is likely because I turned UEFI off...

My thoughts are that I may have to do this from Server 2012. Any idea whether 2012 supports the UEFI Network Boot over PXE?