boyjaew2

Applications deployed with SCCM 2012R2 not able to update

I am wondering if anyone has ever run into the following scenario:

Java and Adobe both deployed VIA sccm 2012 can't be updated/upgraded. The install will fail referencing the ccmcache folder that held the original install bits, .msi. Usually the cache has been emptied and an error message pops up saying something like adobe.msi at "C:\Windows\ccmcache\e" can't be found and the update or upgrade fails.

The only way around this that I have found is to run the MS Fixit program to clean out the registry entries for said program and run a completely fresh install of the application in question. Like I said it has happened with both adobe and java at this point.

Does anyone know a good way around this and/or a way to avoid this in the future.

Thanks!

Hi,

If you import the MSI product code in the application in the console the SCCM client will add the path to the .MSI file on the DP so that any repair and uninstall should work just fine.. Have you tried that?

Regards,
Jörgen

I have not, but I will. Does it make a difference that it is technically a package and not an application? That would direct it to my sources folder, I assume this uses the same permissions it used to push the original out in the first place and also that it DOESN'T matter that the original is missing from the cached content in the ccmcache folder?

Thanks for taking the time to suggest a fix. I really appreciate it.

Hi,

It will not go to the Source folder it will go to the DP where the client downloaded the application from, also note this hotfix for Windows 7 if that is what you are using?

http://ccmexec.com/2012/02/windows-installer-hotfix-for-your-configuration-manager-2012-clients/

Regards,
Jörgen

Thanks!

I guess another question I should ask would be how does the windows client/config man client become aware of this change after the fact? I see the logic here, but after the package has been deployed, and the content has been removed from the ccmcache folder on the client-side, do I import the product code and wait for the ccm client to be polled again or do I have to update the content from sccm?

I just tried this on the problematic win 7 client and it didn't seem to help. The adobe updater still failed to find my custom msi. Of course it did because it has been removed from the ccmcache at this point. The way I got around this was pointing the installer to the original msi on the DP. Then it was happy to proceed and updated just fine. Did I just not allow enough time or did I miss a step?