anyweb

Managing monthly updates in SCCM

Question

Introduction

In this guide I will show you one way of updating your monthly updates released from Microsoft on the second Tuesday of every Month. Many different scenarios can be followed to deploy software updates. In this example, we will use a Software Updates Deployment Package called All Windows XP Updates to store the updates we want made available to our XP machines. We will create a new Deployment Management Task to deploy the new updates, and we will clean up our previous Deployment Management Tasks and remove any expired updates referenced in it by deleting them. As we are not using Update Lists in this guide we will not be concerned with reporting, but if you want to report on the status of your Updates, you should use Update Lists as Part of your Process.

all_windows_xp_updates_deployment_package.jpg

This Deployment Package had been created earlier when setting up the Software Update Point, but you can create a new one if you need to.

We will use a Deployment Management task to start the deployment called All XP Updates.

all_xp_updates_deployment_management_task.jpg

and as you can see from the screenshot above it contains some updates which are expired and this is noticeable because of the Grey Icon.

icon_meanings.jpg

We will also use our Windows XP All Updates search folder which is created with the following Search Folder Criteria

search_folders.jpg

Step 1. Run a Synchronisation.

Expand your Software Updates node in configmgr, right click on Update Repository and choose Run Synchronisation. Answer Yes when prompted. You can verify that the synchronisation process has completed in the Site Status, Component Status, SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER log. Look for Message ID 6702 which is SMS WSUS Synchronization Done.

sync done.jpg

Step 2. Check our Deployment Package

To start off the monthly update process we need to first see what updates we currently have in our Deployment Package and remove any expired or superseded updates contained within.

Expand your Software Updates node in configmgr, expand the Deployment Packages node and highlight the All Windows XP Updates Deployment Package. Expand the Software Updates node within so that you can see what updates we have, click on the Bulletin ID heading to sort our updates.

bulletin_id.jpg

Take note of the Expired or Superseded updates and highlight them and once done right click and choose Delete. You can press CTRL while selecting these updates and don't forget to scroll so you see all updates.

delete_grey.jpg

We only want Green updates in our Deployment Package.

Click ok when prompted about the Delete process

the_selected_updates_will_be_removed_from_the_package.jpg

click ok if prompted about Deployment can fail process, this is ok as we will be updating the Deployment Management Task.

deployment_to_fail.jpg

At this point we now have removed all the expired updates so only green 'good' updates are left, sort the updates by BulletinID again and take note of the most recent one, in our case that is MS09-026

all green.jpg

You have to note how the agent is set up (evaluation, available date, etc.) and then the re-evaluation period and if you sent an enforcement date. All those play a factor in relationship to when the client downloads/installs.

But, typically, once it's available for download, you have two options. You can kick off the updates scans from the configmgr client itself in the actions tab. Or, if you install the right click tools, you can remotely trigger those actions on the client using the SCCM console.

Ted

Thanks for the great article ... It really helped a lot while configuring the setup in our company..

I have a question ...

When I deploy a software update ( Windows Patch ) to the clients, normally how much time it takes to get to the clients... I have seen when I create a software deployment task, it comes very fast, but in case of a patch update using software update in SCCM , I have to wait two or three days to see the result on the clients...

How can I make it more faster....

Hi

I have managed to update all the monthly updates and deployed it.

But since I have updated the repositories and deployment packages, my deployment of OS freezes at "install updates" in the task sequence. It was working before. Before updating the updates; the install update step under the task sequence fetch all the required updates and installs on the new system during the deployment. But now it stays on the install update step and does not proceed. It says that downloading 1 of 90 updates but never proceeds. And this has started happening since I have updated the deployment packages for the updates.

May i request you to kindly let me know what could be the issues?

regards,

Farzan

Sorry to resurrect this thread!

These are great steps Niall, but I'm not sure about Content Distribution. At what point do I push the content out to DPs for distribution to end clients? Does the "Automatically download content when packages are assigned to branch distribution points" handle this for me?

Note: I don't have any BDPs just standard DPs in my environment.

Thanks!

Can i confirm once the initial deployment is done to phase 1,2 and 3 and you restart the process again, that you then end up with one deployment package with addition onthly updates being added to it, but you have a deployment management for each month.

is there anyway to add the next monthly updates to an existing deployment management? otherwise this would become full of deployment managements. these have to stay alive until ALL computers get updated.