Fraeco

SCCM as MSP OSD deployment solution

Hey,

We're an MSP that supports a whole lot of clients and we have to (re)image systems on a weekly basis. Right now this is done manually and with a few basic scripts. But it's still a babysitting job. Start install, wait for 20 minutes, click a button, ...

Same with updates after install of the embedded image. Install first set of updates, wait, reboot, install next set, wait, ...

At my previous place we used SCCM to do all these tasks. That was a normal internal environment.

I was thinking that SCCM could be an asset here. You create one OS image, import the drivers for the different types of portables (all HP) and be done with it. Levering the SUP you can slipstream updates into your image and don't have to worry about that as well.

My question is, is this feasible for an MPS? The systems would not be domain joined because they go out to our clients. There's no need for the Config Mgr client on the system as well because they won't be able to connect to our site.

Thanks any feedback!

I'm looking into MDT/WSUS and at first glance it looks like a bit more hussle then SCCM.

I'd have to set it up and our helpdesk would use it to deploy the images.

However, if we decide to go with SCCM. Would it be possible to just skip the "install config manager client" step in the ODS TS, or will this give issues?

As Peter pointed out, the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) is the better fit for your described environment. Even with ConfigMgr, it is highly recommended to use MDT integration for Operating System Deployment (OSD). If you haven’t seen it yet, I would highly recommend the Windows 8.1 Deployment Jump Start.

One tip I would recommend for the scenario out outlined is to remember that it is easy to manage multiple deployment shares, at heart they are a simple file share. A typical configuration would be a lab deployment share and a production deployment share, where the lab deployment share is primarily virtual and used to configure the base images, test new task sequences, etc. The production deployment share is used to join the corporate domain, install applications for different departments and configurations, holds drivers for various production machines, etc. In your case, it may even be worth it to have multiple production deployment shares for different customers where each share can hold different application configurations and join different domains.

Brandon
Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro

The Springboard Series on TechNet