Atomic12

SCCM Departments in a company planning and design

Hi,

first I apologize if there is a topic with same issue.

We are in a middle of a upgrade from SCCM 2007 to 2012 version and I have no idea how to implement the solution to deploy specific applications to specific department.

In SCCM 2007 we use the HTA script which does its job fair but i would like to move away from this solution.

So in my company we have couple of departments like: project management, IT, quality assurance, development... and I need a solution which installs OS, drivers, set of default applications (Skype, adobe reader, TeamViewer) and then according to the department special applications need by that department.

The only way i can think of is Task sequence for every department.

I kindly ask someone to share in detail how to do it, maybe there is a guide somewhere but I could not find it.

Thank you all,

Hi,

thank you for you answer.

1. Yes, every computer object is its own OU, for example we have sales OU and isnside that OU another OU called computerSALES. We have this for every department.

2. We support unknown computer.

I thought that could be the case what you described but I always complicate things. Just for my info are there any other ways to do it?

br,

Hi,

You could use MDT 2013 and use an integrated MDT task sequence and use the UDI and create your own page and create an option to select department, and then use the conditons in the TS later to select with appliacations should be installed with the role.

Using the MDT Database could be an option as well, but then you need to import the computer to the MDT DB as well before you can use the roles. '

How many different roles are talking about?

Regards,
Jörgen

Hi,

great point! Thank you, we use MDT 2010 in this moment, so I will for surely use MDT 2013 (already installed it and tried it out) but still have some question. So if you choose departments in MDT Task sequence, how do i proceed after that? Do i just build normal TS in SCCM and it "takes" information from MDT TS? If answer is yes then I don't know why we used HTA script in the first place, but that was another person managing the SCCM part in our company.

By roles you mean? Sorry still a noob when it comes to setting up the whole infrastructure...

Hi,

Install the MDT Toolkit and enable the MDT integration, after that you can create an MDT User-Driven OS Deployment Task Sequence and then you can in the MDT UDI Editor create your own page and then set a TS variable based on that choice.

Then you should be able to retire the .HTA

Regards,
Jörgen