h4x0r

Completely out of ideas...setting the default printer from TS

Well I have met with decent success over the weekend...my process thus far has turned the whole printer deployment and setting the default printer (which has been the primary focus) into a two part deployment, rather than just one. While I was "close" with some of my prior ideas, having everything run as a single deployment element was causing problems...so I split it up where I was having trouble: part one is the actual printer installs, and part two sets the default printer.

I modified my PS script so that in the first part, rather than actually set the default printer, I instead created a couple registry values that the second part of the deployment would use to set the default printer. Then, in the second part, I set a required deployment that also ran the first part of the install script (based on the presence of said registry value), and then taking the other registry value (the name of the default printer) proceeds to set the defaullt printer. This required deployment was set to run only while a user is logged in...so once their workstation is imaged and they logon for the first time, it will run and set the default printer from what has already been installed during OSD (if need be).

I still have more testing to do to verify that everything works under different circumstances, but so far, the fact that the default printer is getting set at this stage is still moderate success in my book. If anyone would like exact details on how I have this setup, I will hapily provide those.