Sisko

WinPE

It sounds like you've got an IP during WinPE, but not during FullOS. Also, you mentioned you;re using the same driver in both situations. Please make sure that the drivers match the Operating System that's being deployed.Depending on the Operating System you;re deploying, the Operating System might require different drivers than your WinPE.

Hi Pete, I have taken all the drivers out of SCCM and split them up so that only 32bit drivers are being used, just incase there was a conflict being caused somewhere, as before, I had 64 and 32bit drivers mixed together in the one package. I also removed the entry in the task sequence to install the drivers, I figured I would let SCCM choose to install them automatically from the driver store instead of running an entry in the Task Sequence.

So, after re-creating the package, updating the dist point, making sure the correct NIC driver is in the WinPE boot image and that only 32 bit drivers are packaged, it still goes through the image process, but it falls over after the second reboot, when its sitting at the black screen saying "Setup is preparing your machine for first use" I think it is, the SCCM dialogue box pops up and it tries to run one of the toolkit packages, it sits there about five minutes or so, then fails with the (0x800700002) error, which in the logs says it can't access a particular package.

I know the NIC driver is correct, because doing a manual install its the only driver the machine will select, and when booting to WinPE.....its the only driver that will allow the machine to boot to WinPE successfully and start running the image Task Sequence.

What I can't figure out for the past week is why its happening. It doesn't make much sense, and its more than a bit frustrating that its failing right at the last bit, everything else appears fine :(. But then when I ignore the error message, and allow the machine to boot to Windows without finishing the TS, none of the drivers appear to be installed as it doesn' get an IP address, how does any of this make sense? :)

I've attached the latest log from this morning's failed image if anyone can point what might resolve this.

smsts-20140904-093003.log

I think I'm going to have to speak to Dell about this. I'm stumped and its still on going, I've just not looked at it for a couple of weeks.

If the NIC drivers are in the WinPE boot image, and it runs everything fine up to a point, I can' see how or why the machine seems to be losing its IP address and then throwing the image process into disarray. All our other model PC's image perfectly fine, all the OptiPlex 7020 drivers have all been successfully imported into SCCM, I've seen the task list complete successfully where it installs the drivers, so.....again I'm scratching my head. Still the same for the other OptiPlex 7020 machines I have tried to image too.

Can anyone offer any other input at all? A rabbit out the hat miracle? :)

How are you applying the network drivers? Are you doing an auto apply all or are you categorizing each computer model and specifically assigning drivers to specific categories? If you are using the auto apply, there is a high likelihood of a conflicting driver that is "close" but not quite right for the NIC being used.