Peter van der Woude

How to make ConfigMgr 2007 ready to advertise and stream Virtual Applications

Question

Prerequisite: ConfigMgr 2007 SP1 R2 is installed.

In this article I will tell and show in a few steps which settings are needed to be able to advertise and stream Virtual Applications. Keep in mind that even when you have ConfigMgr configured for Virtual Applications you will still need the App-V Client to run the applications (for installing the App-V Client see: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/post/How-to-install-the-App-V-Client-with-ConfigMgr-2007.aspx).

To be able to advertise Virtual Applications the Advertised Programs Client Agent has to be enabled for running virtual application packages. To do this, follow the next steps:

1. Open the Configuration Manager console and navigate to System Center Configuration Manager / Site Database / Site Management / <your_sitename> / Site Settings / Client Agents.

2. Right-click the Advertised Programs Client Agent and select Properties.

3. On the General tab click Allow virtual application package advertisement to enable the client for running Virtual Applications (See picture).

4. Click OK to close the properties.

AdvProgrClientAgentProp.JPG

Note: This enables the Advertised Programs Client Agent to run Virtual Application packages on all Configuration Manager 2007 client computers in the site.

To be able to stream Virtual Applications the Distribution Point has to be enabled for streaming virtual application packages. To do this, follow the next steps:

1. Open the Configuration Manager console and navigate to System Center Configuration Manager / Site Database / Site Management / <your_sitename> / Site Settings / Site Systems, and select the name of the Server or the Server Share.

2. Right-click the ConfigMgr distribution point, in the results pane, and select Properties.

3. On the Virtual Applications tab select Enable virtual application streaming (See picture).

4. Click Ok to close the properties.

ConfigMgrDPProp.JPG

Note: To be able to select Enable virtual application streaming make sure Allow clients to transfer content from this distribution point using BITS, HTTP, and HTTPS (required for device clients and Internet-based clients). is selected on the General tab.

Edited by Peter van der Woude
Added a link about installing the App-V Client

I use SCCM to deploy the App-V Client. I use version 4.5 CU1, because I use it in combination with Windows 7. I create a normal Software Package with a Program that runs the command setup.exe /S /v /qn. Another possibility is to create a Package from Definition. The definition file for the App-V Client can be found at: <Installdirectory>\Microsoft Configuration Manager\Tools\VirtualApp.

I will make another "guide" for advertising and streaming a Virtual Application.

so should I be using the Installer files directly from the Cu1 iso and forget about the 4.5 iso, i.e. I should use the ISO below

cn_ct_nl_en_fr_de_it_ja_ko_pt_pp_es_application_virtualization_4.5_for_ts_cumulative_update_1_x86_cd_x15-51720 ?

To be sure what do I need to stream your package in previous tutorial (7zip)?

When all is set and done on SCCM R2 I must first deploy the 4.5 CU1 to all clients I want to stream applications (with commandlines setup.exe /S /v /qn)? Am I right?

Then when this is installed on the clients I can then create virtual application packages in SCCM to stream? Just like a regular app deployment?

I my tutorial I indeed use 7zip as an example.

You first have to deploy the App-V Client 4.5 CU1 to the client (with the commandline setup.exe /S /v /qn).

Then you have to create a Virtual Application with for example the App-V Sequencer.

Then you can add a Virtual Application Package to ConfigMgr, see http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1129

and if you want to stream the Virtual Application from your DP instead of out of the client cache, see http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1131

I hope this helps.

I my tutorial I indeed use 7zip as an example.

You first have to deploy the App-V Client 4.5 CU1 to the client (with the commandline setup.exe /S /v /qn).

Then you have to create a Virtual Application with for example the App-V Sequencer.

Then you can add a Virtual Application Package to ConfigMgr, see http://www.windows-n...?showtopic=1129

and if you want to stream the Virtual Application from your DP instead of out of the client cache, see http://www.windows-n...?showtopic=1131

I hope this helps.

Hi,

I was doing last week in installing the APP-V client on to my clients to utilize the feature of virtulization with the source folder drive:\SCCM\tools\virtualapp but it doesnt actually find setup.exe file .We should download it manually and place it onto this folder without which it doesnt work.I have googled it to download APP-V client 4.5 but could not find actually wink.gif ,some time later downloaded it.Everything goes fine actually smile.gif