anyweb

How can I deploy Windows 8.1 x64 to the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 using System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager ?

I created bootable using the Create Task Sequence Media Wizard. When I boot the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 from the USB drive I eventually receiving the following error message.

"Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and the we'll restart for you."

Any ideas?

is the bootable media formatted as fat32 ? it should be, also, are you using a 64bit boot wim, if not you should be,lastly power the machine off by holding the power button for 13 seconds, then try again.

Thanks for a great job. I frequently read your guides and they always help me and so far I never need to reply but today I found a problem at the end which I can not solve so far.

I just did all the steps described here and than when I tried to boot my Surface Pro 3 from PXE I got a Bios message "Invalid signature detected. Check secure boot policy in setup" seconds after PXE IPv4 message shows up.

I'm using Surface Pro 3 (I just installed the latest HW upgrades offered but this was happening before the FW upgrade too).

I'm using a Surface Pro 3 docking station with Ethernet port and I also tried to boot with and USB adapter (100 mbit Model 1552).

I always get this bios message and than that its over with PXE boot.

My PXE boot was Ok on all other computers so far but I was only deploying Windows 7 so far. I must admit I know very little about UEFI at this point in time and so far we survived without it (or at least without noticing it).

Do you have an Idea what to try next?

Do I need the Gigabit USB adapter?

My PXE is configured via DHCP.

I have SCCM v 5.00.7958.1000 CU1 installed.

The bootable media is formatted as fat32. I'm using 64bit boot image and unfortunately the power suggestion didn't work. Very strange.

if it fails to boot from USB the first time, try again, and again, and again, if it eventually fails to the bios screen, let it. then press the power off button briefly, then power on again while holding down the volume down button.

Thanks for a great job. I frequently read your guides and they always help me and so far I never need to reply but today I found a problem at the end which I can not solve so far.

I'm using a Surface Pro 3 docking station with Ethernet port and I also tried to boot with and USB adapter (100 mbit Model 1552).

My PXE is configured via DHCP.

I have SCCM v 5.00.7958.1000 CU1 installed.

as it's UEFI you'll need to remove the DCP settings and configure ip helpers instead, OR boot from bootable media (usb media)

can you try that ? also i've not tested with a dock, dont have one. Try connecting the USB dongle directly and see what happens

If you are using the dock make sure the latest firmware is installed for the Surface.

Also there is also an issue where the Surface comes shipped with an incorrect time. Log into command prompt and change it to the correct time. We see this on about half of the ones we receive.

Edit, we are booting these all with the boot media at this time.

I have a Surface Pro 3 with a docking station. When I want to install Windows 8.1 Enterprise for building an image I get, when I want to boot from PXE (start PXE over IPv4), the (error) message

"Secure boot Violation - Invalid signature detected. Check Secure Boot Policy in Setup". When I enter OK it boots further with "start PXE over IPv6". This takes a while and then start the default OS.

I have updated to the latest firmware but no luck so far, anyone?