anyweb

How can I deploy Windows 8.1 x64 to the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 using System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager ?

Does the Surface Pro 3 still have the original factory installed image on it ? have you tried network booting it using a Microsoft USB network card, does that work or not ?

do any of your devices succeed in UEFI network booting (as this requires UEFI network boot, not PXE/legacy boot...)

you say you've updated to the latest firmware, how did you do that

cheers

niall

hey,

can i use the dock for imaging more than 1 device or will it make problems because of the MAC of the Dock beeing used?

Also other question

I used the WMI filter you posted above with "SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Model Like "%Surface Pro 3%" it bypasses the step, becuase condition was evaluated to be false, may it be that you need to swith that to "Surface with windows 8 Pro" ?

• Like 1

Also other question

I used the WMI filter you posted above with "SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Model Like "%Surface Pro 3%" it bypasses the step, becuase condition was evaluated to be false, may it be that you need to swith that to "Surface with windows 8 Pro" ?

are you running this on the Surface Pro 3 or some other model, the guide was specifically for the Surface Pro 3, hence that WMI query.

Hi Anyweb, have you had any problems with drivers loading once the image is successfully deployed?

I had built my image on my sp3 and captured it, had some hiccups with bit locker and the windows apps but it went through fine.

Built the drivers package as per your article, but things like the front camera, keyboard, firmware were missing and werent re deployed to the tablet. Im just re sending the image to the SP3 again now to judge what it does.

I have noticed on the SP2 and SP3 now that it doesnt like deploying the SCCM Client for me. I have to hand install it from a bat script after deployment. Any ideas on that one too ?

Thanks

are you running this on the Surface Pro 3 or some other model, the guide was specifically for the Surface Pro 3, hence that WMI query.

I removed the TS step and added it again with the same now it works... :o#

Yes its a Pro3.

Anythoughts on the other questions? I mean this should also be applying to the Ethernet Adapter?! SCCM does tag the Object with the MACAdress right, so how does it work if i want to deploy multiple surface machines through one adapter/Docking Station, do you have any clue about that?

Thanks & BR,

Chris

• Like 1

if you are using a mix of devices then what boot images are deployed in your task sequences ? if they are all x64 bit boot images then all is fine, if they are x86 and x64 then the last task sequence deployed to your osd collection will be the one that 'wins' - it follows the LIFO statement (last in first out)

what error messages are you seeing exactly ?

Hi, Niall,

Thanks for your response.

Only 64 bit boot image in use.

Not really getting any error message just nothing when trying to PXE boot the surface - no indication about trying for IP4 or IP6 address - just straight through to a normal boot.

However, I have managed to get it working and it must have been (at least) one of these things:

1) removed DHCP option 67

2) configured the PXE options in WDS - it was a new install and I'd overlooked this

3) injected the recent Surface 3 firmware updates into the boot image

All good now! Thanks!

as it's UEFI you'll need to remove the DCP settings and configure ip helpers instead, OR boot from bootable media (usb media)

can you try that ? also i've not tested with a dock, dont have one. Try connecting the USB dongle directly and see what happens

Hi buddy, first of all great blogging!

Secondly we are having a nightmare pxe booting the sp3.

We have ip helpers in place. Running server 2008 r2 sp2, sccm 2012 r2. All other tablet, UEFI, PXE perfectly.

We see the pxe screen but it just drops through and we end up having to build via usb boot.

The sccm pxe log just says 'not serviced' next the sp3 Mac and guid, we have tried docking stations, usb nics, all MS approved for surface pro 3.

Any ideas? I have already built 34 but we need to hand the builds to the help desk as we have created a zero touch build in place for them where Mac and asset is all that is required and I'm afraid explaining usb boot to some of these lads will be a nightmare! (I'm not kidding!)