anyweb

How can I deploy Windows 8.1 x64 to the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 using System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager ?

Hi buddy, first of all great blogging!

thanks !

econdly we are having a nightmare pxe booting the sp3.

We have ip helpers in place. Running server 2008 r2 sp2, sccm 2012 r2. All other tablet, UEFI, PXE perfectly.

We see the pxe screen but it just drops through and we end up having to build via usb boot.

have you tried updating the firmware (offline or online) on the troublesome Surface Pro 3's ?

what i mean is to update the firmware BEFORE the build, as there were issues with some docking stations having issues with PXE boot and those issues are resolved with the updated firmware.

Here's the process of updating the firmware offline, I'd suggest you try it.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfeplat/archive/2014/10/20/how-to-update-the-surface-pro-3-firmware-offline-using-a-usb-drive.aspx

• Like 1

what i mean is to update the firmware BEFORE the build, as there were issues with some docking stations having issues with PXE boot and those issues are resolved with the updated firmware.

Here's the process of updating the firmware offline, I'd suggest you try it.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfeplat/archive/2014/10/20/how-to-update-the-surface-pro-3-firmware-offline-using-a-usb-drive.aspx

Haha great minds must think a like as I am already in the process of this. I will let you know what happens.

have you followed my guide exactly ? are you sure it's pulling down a 64bit boot wim ? what happens when you UEFI network boot, what do you see before it fails...

Yes we are following your guide exactly to the letter. it is how we are and have been doing so for many different tablets. i.e hp elitepad 900 g1 (x86) hp elitpad 1000 g2 (x64) and dell venue 8 pro and many more.

It is not even pulling down the boot wim. It checks ip v4 pxe then skips straight to v6 then through to usb.

The pxe log on the sccm server just says 'not serviced'.

It has the correct mac in the windows 8.1 TS deployment collection also.

we are stumped...

for many different tablets. i.e hp elitepad 900 g1 (x86) hp elitpad 1000 g2 (x64) and dell venue 8 pro and many more.

hmm are some of those UEFI devices x86 ? if so they REQUIRE an x86 boot wim,

the surface is native x64 hardware so requires a x64 bit boot wim,

please attach the smspxe.log file here please and tell me what mac address you are using on the Surface,

also remember the last task sequence deployed to a collection will be the boot wim that 'answers' the pxe request (LIFO)

We have separate task sequences for seperate architectures, I.e windows 8.1 x86 ts and collection, windows 8.1 x64 ts and collection.

I will attach it on Monday as I am on another site tomorrow.

I will set up a home lab on Sunday to rule out this true UEFI idea.

Thanks for the fast response by the way! Nice to leave a comment and get a reply for a change! :)

I have a working ConfigMgr 2012 R2 CU1 environment, with all servers on 2012 R2. After following the guide, I am still having trouble pxe booting. After the 'Downloading NBP file...' message, a 'Succeed to download NBP file.' message very briefly appears, followed by moving onto an ipv6 pxe attempt. I did have one successful pxe boot yesterday, but am unsure of what I changed that now prevents this from working. Any ideas? Thanks!