Hello,

I'm working on deploying a new master image, however I am running into an issue and I'm not sure of my way around it. I have a feeling what I am trying to do is either/both outside-the-box and/or just wrong.

My Goal

To bring deployment time down from 2-3 hours to 30-45 minutes.

The master image will contain:

• Specific applications all users will receive
  • Updates up to the quarter (latest build) of the mater image (intend to rebuild the master image every quarter, rolling any new updates and applications required into it

When using the mater image in a new task sequence I intend to run additional scripts to further modify the image on a user-to-user, group-to-group basis (security permissions, drive letter reassignment, etc.).

My Problem
I am able to create my mater image with CCM Client installed, as many guides suggest; however when I add this master image, containing the CCM Client, to a new task sequence I cannot then run further actions on the image. Any attempt to boot into the applied OS without running the "Setup Windows and ConfigMgr" step results in a failed task sequence.

I do not want to run the step again as it will attempt an uninstall, then re-install, of the already installed CCM Client on the master image. I have had issues in the past where either the uninstall, or re-install, of CCM Client in these situations have caused the task sequence deployments to crash 50% or more of the time.

My Question

Is there a way to perform more actions in a task sequence, after applying a master image that already has CCM Client installed, without re-installing CCM? Can I run a step the will perform all the steps in preparing the environment to continue installations without actually performing the CCM setup?

I would appreciate any and all advice/pointers I receive in this matter.

Thank you.

Hi,

No you must run that step as it does much more than just install the client, it sets it to provisoning mode as well..

The best solution I can come up with is to build the image in MDT = no SCCM client and as you say to speed up things add Office in the image it takes a long time to install and even longer to upfate.

You don't have any issues with updates that requires multiple reboots either, there are many benefits of using MDT to build the master image.

Regards,

Jörgen

Hi,

No you must run that step as it does much more than just install the client, it sets it to provisoning mode as well..

The best solution I can come up with is to build the image in MDT = no SCCM client and as you say to speed up things add Office in the image it takes a long time to install and even longer to upfate.

You don't have any issues with updates that requires multiple reboots either, there are many benefits of using MDT to build the master image.

Regards,

Jörgen

Thank you Jorgen.

I have not yet used MDT, but from what I see it requires you to setup a reference image manually - install windows, install apps, updates, etc. as needed, then use MDT to capture the image.

Part of the reason I was using SCCM to create and capture the image was to take the human element out of it - specify the sequence of events in the master image and let the computer take care of the rest. I also would like to make creating the quarterly build a simple process, modifying the build and capture task sequence, running it, and adding the new master image.

Is MDT able to do this, script installation of all applications, or use task sequences to accomplish this, removing the human element and making the build process simple?